• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trust me I am no planted expert

Lgtuk

I have had aquariums for quite a few years now but never purposely wanted to grow plants, but tastes change and I saw some sexy looking planted tanks and I fancied a go.

I new I wanted an open top tank as that's what really got me wanting to give it a go. So I got together the following:

Tank: 4ft long 260ltr

Lighting: Fluval fresh & plant 2.0 46w LED
3x Ikea spot lights each with Ikea 7w cultervating LED bulbs

Filter: All pond solutions 2000ef+ UV system

Substraght: Tetra Active Substrate topped with natural crushed coral (I know what your going to say but i have always used it in the past for looks)

Fillers: 3x large slate slabs, bogwood and mangrove root

Plants (in tank): Xmas moss,flame moss,java moss, Argentine sword, banana lily, various anubus, cryps and a couple others I had in my old tank I don't know the name of

Plants (top of tank): devil's ivy, peace lily, dwarf iris, various wondering Jew, ivy, japanese sweetflag, more Xmas moss and some others I was given to try

Plant feeds: diy co2, easy life easycarbo liquid and a Columbia flora grow which I bought by mistake and causes algae blooms
icon_sad.gif
now using seachem.

It's a bit of a marmite tank but its all experimental and will develope over time.
Hope you like it and any ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• 1502644238739760657460.jpg
    1502644238739760657460.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 291
  • 15026442763971761021134.jpg
    15026442763971761021134.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 264
  • 15026443014491324041601.jpg
    15026443014491324041601.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 249
  • 15026443172301037618471.jpg
    15026443172301037618471.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 249
That's really nice, I like all the stuff you've got going on at the top and popping out of the water. good job!

Cheers its quite nice to see it evolve naturally as when small plants float to the surface like hair grass I have left them and they started growing in the moss.

So an update how the tank is growing.

The biggest change I have done is switch fertiliser to Lush max. It has made a massive difference, all of the hair algae has now gone and my moss is looking healthy again.
20170903_190636.jpg
20170903_190659.jpg

Excuse the bubble just changed over the yeast for the co2.

I have added a really good looking plant I found at my lfs, Echinodorus Ozelot Red. Big leaves and a nice colouring
20170903_190646.jpg
20170903_190918.jpg

The top of the tank I have now left to grow naturally as plants are introducing them selves to the emersed growing as you can see. I haven't placed anything there myself.
20170903_190753.jpg
20170903_190828.jpg

Really liking the way it evolving now :)

Last edited:
The moss looks amazing now! I love the E. ozelot it's a beautiful plant. looks like the ferts are doing the trick.

Hi all, Do you know what the Fern is below the Echinodorus ("Ozelot" or similar)? Has it been there long? I thought it was Trichomanes javanicum, but that doesn't enjoy life under-water.

cheers Darrel
Looks like a Bolbitis heteroclita.. :)

Hi all, Do you know what the Fern is below the Echinodorus ("Ozelot" or similar)? Has it been there long? I thought it was Trichomanes javanicum, but that doesn't enjoy life under-water.

cheers Darrel

Sorry I don't know what the proper name for it is. I bought it off eBay named an umbrella fern plant mid/back ground tank.

It's been in there since June 17, it hasn't grown or melted you would think it's fake it's done that little. I thought I'd just take a punt on it as it looked interesting.

Might have to move it if the E Ozelot gets much bigger but we will see.

I think the one @zozo had in mind was <"Bolbitis "heteroclita difformis">, but I think your plant is too big.
That's what i thought as well, tho true size is hard to see on a picture.. You're probably correct about it.. B. heteroclita comes in the trade as dwarf variety "difformis or cuspidata".

But for the record the actual heteroclita has rather potential to become a big plant, all tho very rarely seen in the trade and also not realy suitable for growing constantly submersed. In my experience the 2 dwarf varieties neither, at least i wasn't lucky non survived, even high tech i couldn't make chocolate with it... I also wonder, are the smaller more common varieties in the trade cultivars or genetic spin offs from the actual bigger heteroclita? Can't seem to find any references about that. I guess they are, so might be a chance you buy one that forgot it's a dwarf var.

This is the actual B. heteroclita fully matured, that is not a small fern.
bolbitis-heteroclita-51c8366837432.jpg

I have just removed it from the tank and it had loads of roots on the underside of the leaves but none on the stems.

It's now up top and we'll see how it gets on.

The E Ozelot has a lot of room to spread now.

Bingo that's it alright. Might remove it then after reading that post and put it up top. I am surprised it's lasted over 2 months submerged so far.

I think it's died. I have come home and it has turned into a crisp, might have been an aquatic after all :(

Hi all,
I have just removed it from the tank and it had loads of roots on the underside of the leaves but none on the stems.
Definitely Selaginella then.
I think it's died. I have come home and it has turned into a crisp, might have been an aquatic after all.
No, definitely not aquatic, probably lack of humidity, or in too bright a light.

cheers Darrel

Well I will strike that one off the list then.

I have been looking for some kind of water loving fern either submerged or emersed with low humidity needs but not much luck :(

Hi all,
I have been looking for some kind of water loving fern either submerged or emersed with low humidity needs but not much luck :(
Ceratopteris does surprisingly well emersed. You need to start it with the crown at, or just below, water level, and it is a bit of a scruffy grower.

Plant176.jpg

Another fern that might work is Bolbitis heteroclita. Former member Devin (@hydrophyte) used it on a trellis raft (from "Riparium plant...")

9-xi-09-epi-trellis-raft-bolbitis-iii-m-jpg.jpg

He also had the "Leather Fern" Acrostichum danaeifolium, but I couldn't find a UK source for this one. Looking back <"it was 2010">, so that may not be true now.

31-v-10-acrostichum-danaeifolium-i-m-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back