• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trigon 190

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them! There Wrigley's now and have been moved to another leave. Still alive for the moment.

Thanks Steve, done the discus thing already never bred them though, was a great big tank but found them quite high maintenance fish, also had a marine tank and I found discus trickier than that.

DSC_2897_zps2edadb8c.jpg

So the external is 2000lph and I've just added a spray bar onto a 1500lph power head. So in my trigon 190 am I getting 3500lph turnover? That excessive?
Near 20x, hope my tanks not being washer away when I go down this morning.

Last edited:
Some update pics of the trigon.
Anubis has really grown on and added some floaty plants lol. No fish deaths

Got home from work last night and took a look at the tank and noticed half my torpedo barbs bouncing about the water, not control like a swim bladder issue. Some looked very near death. I thought WTF! The other fish where not doing this. It I could tell they weren't right either. Only the angels looked normal. As I am always on my maintenance I know the filter is clean, so I just checked it' was working and the heater hadn't went then performed a 50% wc. With 20 minutes they where coming round so I've got to assume they where c02 overdosed. I always sit in the yellow/green range and haven't adjusted anything recently so could this be result of a gradual build up?

Deansie,

Felt a bit rude jumping on David's thread with pics of my tank, but seeing you'd asked about photos of mines and red plants - not much changed in a week since last massacre/heavy trim.

Bear in mind that all the taller stems have been trimmed within the last couple of weeks-ish, whenever they needed it. So it's about this height they start blushing and showing their colours. The carpet is very sparce right now cause I ripped a lot out and replanted long strands of glosso, monte carlo, and I was surprised how much marsilea was under the lot- not a huge amount but enough to bring a smile. The carpet is nearly impossible because of the bronze corys but planted deeper and me almost giving up in expectation of ever getting a carpet seemed to bring it on - something to be said about neglect.

Any recent photos on yours?
DSC00665.JPG DSC00677.JPG

Vandal your tank is really nice, very natural looking. I like your selection of different plants. This has definitely gave me the drive to try again with my trigon, I've always had a large sword at the back as a feature which also hides the heater and inlet/outlet but I think it also hinders light and flow some what. Can I ask you a few questions, what is on the sides of your tank that have the climbing plants?
Are you using in tank heating and filtration?
What's your spray bar set up and what is your light duration?
I appreciate your feedback:)
I've 2 spray bars running along each side and a bazooka diffuser under the filter intake.

Pics taken 5 mins ago
IMAG1570_zpssp9uvs7y.jpg

IMAG1572_zpsbtipwskx.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Deansie,

Your tank /plants are looking tremendous, love how big your anubia and crypts are getting.
it'
I'm happy to answer anything I can.

what is on the sides of your tank that have the climbing plants?
It's the Juwel foam backing - I regretted installing it almost immediately,it takes up far too much volume for my liking (approx 1 1/2 - 2" thick) so after the honeymoon period I started poking all sorts of plants in as an experiment. I've even super glued stems (alternanthera mini, super red ludwigia) the stems actually did well but their ariel roots look rubbish in my view so removed. In there's the usual java fern normal type and windlov (I didn't realise there are so many types e.g. trident, mini, narow leaf etc) which I basically poked a hole in with the a screwdriver and squeezed the rhizome(?)/stem/stalk. Anubia Nana Petite and a couple of bucephalandra rhizomes (god knows what's what - brownie blue, Brownie Brown and Brownie Helena.

Over the year I've bought various mosses from ebay the 1 2 grow copies where you buy 2 get 3rd free - had no joy whatsoever until I started injecting co2. Tried flame, Christmas, Willow which brought about the onset of the bba outbreak (I'm not blaming the newer mosses as the tank wasn't balanced, but funny how I associate that with the algae so haven't used them (ebay again).

Are you using in tank heating and filtration?What's your spray bar set up

I ran the stock internal Juwel filter up until about a year ago when I upped the pump to 1000 lph (a very trusted member here advised that when he did this it wore out his juwel sponges quickly, I'm just now beginning to see courser ones beginning to lose their springyness but still happy with them). I put one of the cirax cartridges in at the same time as the new pump so maybe that offers some protection to the finer sponges. (Bottom - Finest sponges x 2, cirax, coursers sponges x2) when the courser sponges finally go I'll replace both or either with another cirax. I broke the heater within a year of getting the tank - I'm a clumsy so-an-so but luckily had the eheim thermo (2322) running at the same so no need for it.

The eheim has the 16 mm installation kit on the filter intake then converted down to 12mm at the filter with one of eheim plug things as I found it was getting too clogged with the 12 mm basket. That all runs down the side of the Juwel filter box with intake approx 3" off bottom, with ebay Co2 diffuser in back corner so bubbles go either up eheim or sucked into juwel. Juwel is pointed down toward front parallel to the straight wall,- if you can make sense of that description you're a better man than me - here's a pic,

DSC00667.JPG
in the pics earlier in the post you can see the black circle of the juwel output opposite the drop checker.

The eheim sprays from one straight to the other straight so that surface is broken all throughout (think you can see some of the rigid 12mm eheim pipe i used to make a spraybar) (prevents need for skimmer). CO2 goes on approx 1 1/2 hours before lights via solenoid (need to check the timers to be sure but was thinking of gettng a 12v solenoid so that it could be run off a tc420 in future). co2 goes off half an hour before lights off.

light duration?

Lighting 13:30 - 23:30 (its in a very bright south south east facing room with a glass door right at the side some think that also helps with my low intensity but plays havoc with algaes on glass (that's my excuse)

I hope this makes sense -I was tying myself in knots trying to put into words the spraybar arrangement :)

The corries and two remaining loaches (Zebra and polka dot) and my two amanos and gazillion cherry shrimp have other ideas about my designs on a carpet, I used to have a downoi carpet at front then it just melted and for some reason I can't grow it at all - I blame the rummy noses personally :)

Hope you're in good form, I've lost hope/vision with this tank so many times yet it just bounces back. Think cause it's in my folks it just gets time to settle and sort itself so when I see it the changes are noticeable whereas when they're in my place my armpits are nearly webbed they're over the tank so much.
DSC00667.JPG

Was too late to edit, but I worried about causing a whirlpool having two filters on the straight walls pumping in like yours (I have no scientific knowledge though) and your Angel looks like it's got the biggest cheese on so if it's not broken an all that. I did change the internal return from middle and the change in fishes swimming pattern is face palm amazing - something so obvious but overlooked. Anyway I'm manically slavering again

Thanks for the amazing reply Vandal, very interesting hearing about another people's trigons in particular. I imagine the juwel sides and the internal do eat into your tank volume some what but your tank looks fantastic. I seen your light duration is 10 hours so that is the first thing I'm going to change as mine is still 8.5.
Reading about yours has excited me to do a new scape on mine, definitely in need a change as that's about 2 years now since I set it up. I'm going to try and keep the middle area more for carpet/ foreground plants, nothing with height. Then keep all stems along the sides. No wood just a fee stones perhaps. Will be off work in 5 weeks so maybe do it then. Not changed the filter hose yet so maybe a good time. Thanks again Vandal and be site to put update pics on more often!

I'm just catching up with your other tank it also looks the biz Deansie,

if you've got the two tanks to focus on then it makes each tank more bearable, I struggle with patience.

Your enthusiasm is infectious - I reckon you'll come up with something jaw dropping - if you're keeping with the stock t5s my advice would be go up a half our at a time and keep your fert dosing low but co2 as if you were running high light if that makes sense.

It did also occur to me that because of my battles with bba my expectations might be a wee bit lower than yours buddy, my goal at the start was only to get them growing, I thought they'd be green and leggy but after the first couple of trims they surprised me by blushing. Every day's a school day and all that.

Best of luck

Back