• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rainbowfish & Nitrates

Tank is 180l and reasonably well planted. Tank mates are 9 Sterbai Cory, 14 black Neon tetras, 5 otos, 1 SAE, 10 amanos and 6 nerites (all have been in there at least a few months and most around a year)

Filtered by an Eheim Classic 600 (1,000 lph) and a sponge filter that is destined for my betta tank if I ever get the time to set it up.

Hi all,
It might be Mycobacteriosis, I think <"Rainbowfish are particularly prone to it">.

I actually now think that the problems with my Threadfin Rainbows (and possibly the fish pictured in the linked thread?) may have been thryroid goiter, caused by a lack of iodine.

cheers Darrel

Interesting, I hadn't really considered it could be something lacking in my tap water.

Did you attempt to add iodine or just move away from keeping rainbowfish?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Just got them out to have a look at and gave them a dip in some Methylene Blue. The one who physically looks OK but spends a lot of time at the surface is looking a bit better. The other which is more active has worse sores than I thought.

Will give them another bath tomorrow and see how they look at the weekend.
59228fb55eb9c65e409da4db8f51899f.jpg
f241edbf542fddb588b3bb97c7a5536a.jpg

Hi all,
Did you attempt to add iodine or just move away from keeping rainbowfish?
Both, I only ever kept Threadfins, but I would like to go back to keeping either Threadfin Rainbows (Iriatherina werneri) (or Pseudomugil gertrudae) at some point.

Looking at your photo from above I think unfortunately that that is mycobacteriosis.

cheers Darrel

Looking at your photo from above I think unfortunately that that is mycobacteriosis.
Is that as bad as some places make out with some recommendations being to nuke the tank and euthanise everything.
I thought this was pretty rampant so I would have expected to see signs in the other inhabitants?

Will try and get a picture of the other one when I head downstairs in a minute as it does look more like flexibacter (columnaris) than the picture in the thread above (it is more on the lips and does look a bit fungus like). That one doesn't have the protruding lumps this one has

915b2a19fae8610933a6d772fc054281.jpg

262209ccff36d33a07620f9389019b85.jpg

Last edited:
Back