• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nigel's Forest scape 128L

Yep, considering adding stems at the back + some very thin dw 'trees'.

It's looking impressive so far!

Thank you

I don't really like the look of the stems as shown in the picture.

When preparing the hardscape The really small pieces didn't really fit in the back somehow. But it Would be great to add some depth. Let's see if I can snipe some small pieces of 40 cm (not easy :p).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Hi Nigel,

Great effort and study. Looking anxious to see what´s coming and develop.

Good stuff my friend.

Best regards

Watching this process with interest, and loving the scape so far...

Building on Silviu Man's comments, I also read that tea tree oil is a natural treatment to stop mould (sprayed on, diluted in water first). I read this whilst researching natural ways to kill mould on training mats in a gym, so not sure how appropriate this would be for an aquarium project... but just thought I'd mention it.

Evening,

For my own experience it isn´t worth. I used to have also those kind of values in my other adress and I also bought a RO system and tried 50/50, and 70/30 and 60/40 and haven´t notice any improvement on plants.
A lot of work but mainly and also sad a large waste of water and money for nothing.

So i stoped doing RO in my Water changes and put directly from from the Net and as time goes by one day i realise that the tank was having K3 and GH of 5. I believe it all leads to maturation of the tank.

Start normally and in time you´ll see where it leads to.

By the way.. i only use Tropica Plant Growth and Tropica Soil (together). I believe they are the guilty ones for this decrease on KH and GH.

Big hug.

kh 9
gh 13

Here too, i wouldn't worry a minute with these parameters.. Nothing wrong with it, it's more towards the average than it's in the high.
gh is not realy important there are people having over 3 times as much without issues. And kh 9 is ideal, in general kh between 8 and 12 is assumed perfect for a planted tank/pond. :)

Here too, i wouldn't worry a minute with these parameters.. Nothing wrong with it, it's more towards the average than it's in the high.
gh is not realy important there are people having over 3 times as much without issues. And kh 9 is ideal, in general kh between 8 and 12 is assumed perfect for a planted tank/pond. :)

Oh really? Hmm… I thought the ideal kh was like 3-6. So plants can take easier nutrients. And Amano also kept low kh/tds in his tanks. Why did he do that?

I also have a lot of fissidens and heard they grow better / look nicer with softer water.

But it Would save me a lot of energy and money if it isn't worth it

It all is very relative and you can have equal good results in a wide range of parameters.. Hunting the ideal and change what is supplied from the tap oftenly only results in more work, frustration to keep it stable, more confusement and in worst case scenario more failure than succes. :) I got about the same values in my tap water as yours. Didn't measure it for a long time now but last i remember it maybe differed 1 or 2 degrees and with a average pH > 8 after water is depleted and in natural equilibrium. Far from the theoretical ideals for many maybe. Even in my low tech it took some time and patience but mean while my fissidens is growing like a champion.

I guess that's the price people pay for watching high energy tanks expecting high speed results.. And if this stays behind go on a wild goose chase to find a culprit before the lights go out.. ;)

It all is very relative and you can have equal good results in a wide range of parameters.. Hunting the ideal and change what is supplied from the tap oftenly only results in more work, frustration to keep it stable, more confusement and in worst case scenario more failure than succes. :) I got about the same values in my tap water as yours. Didn't measure it for a long time now but last i remember it maybe differed 1 or 2 degrees and with a average pH > 8 after water is depleted and in natural equilibrium. Far from the theoretical ideals for many maybe. Even in my low tech it took some time and patience but mean while my fissidens is growing like a champion.

I guess that's the price people pay for watching high energy tanks expecting high speed results.. And if this stays behind go on a wild goose chase to find a culprit before the lights go out.. ;)

Thank you for the info Marcel. I will try it w/o RO

I found same result TBH. I saw no better results than I do now when using RO water.
My tap water is Gh 14 KH9 I think this is what I got from my water report. Not tested in tank for a long time now.
When I first started out I used a 50/50 mix RO and tap water. Water changes where a pain mixing water etc etc. Now I just empty water from the tank with a syphon , add declorinator direct to the tank fill with the hose.
As has already been said the natural process in your tank bacterial activity your substrate co2 etc will lower your tank PH GH KH anyways.

Found a good deal and added 100 more rcs. With this numbers I see them eating some green thread algae so that's handy. The clithon sp. snails do a great job on cleaning the spiderwood, they stay relative small and I really love the look of them. Unfortunately a lot of buces are melting that are in direct light. The buces in shadow are still thriving. Hopefully they will bounce back I really love the look of buces. My plan was to add 6 green neon tetra's per week but now I heard if you don't add a school at once the chance is less they will school together. Anyone ever heard this? I don't really like the idea of putting 20 at once in the tank. I don't think my tank can handle that spike.

Looks very natural! Sand or fine Gravel over the soil in the path would look even nicer IMO

Looks cool:thumbup:.

Looks very natural! Sand or fine Gravel over the soil in the path would look even nicer IMO

Thanks I really like the yoghurt method so far. Natural look and you can cover a lot with little moss! Sand would look cool but not natural IMO. Fine gravel could be nice for sure. Maybe I will do that.

Here is the same style done to utter perfection for inspiration:

That tank is very nice I have seen it already. It was some inspiration for me to make a forest scape style. My next ada 45p will have some roots on the trees but it will be hard to achieve something like this. It's all a learning curve :) Very curious about what fish he is using they look nice.

These fishes are borara urophtalmoides :)

Awesome nano forest by yoda...All the lovely détails are Beautiful

Back