• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bosemani Rainbow fry maybe!?!?!?

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi guys,

Yesterday I took away my moss wall from my main tank and put all the moss in my shrimp tank, then I noticed out of the moss some fry were poping out. I did wash the moss in a bucket a few times and flushed the water down the toilet, so who knows how many were in there, I have counted about 9-10 in my shrimp tank.

The only question is what can it be??? I only have ottos, harlequin rasboras and bosemani rainbows in the tank, I was thinking ottos like Clark had earlier but then don't swim like Ottos, and mainly swim at the surface of the water.

I managed to get one in a photo, they are so tiny that is almost impossible to focus them, they must be at most 3-4mm long.

pict0051uj9.jpg

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Re: Unidentified fry?!?!?!?

Almost certainly the rainbows, the fry are the same in body shape as my rainbow fry and the fact they lay sticky eggs and the fry stay at the water surfaces all point towards rainbow fry.
Don't change your water for 3 weeks and match the temperature as all rainbow fry don't like change at all.

Thanks Garuf, never knew that rainbows breed in captivity. They are in my shrimp tank now without any predators and constant water temp of about 25ºc.

Yeah, rainbows are some of the easiest fish to breed once you have good water quality. The fact you have moss is only even more of an incentive for them.

They are the cutest thing! I would have said it's the Harlequins but Garuf seems to have sorted this.

Harlequins are black water fish as best I know and are pretty difficult to breed. I suggest rainbows because the fry I had were Identical and I know how prolific they can be without you even knowing.

LondonDragon said:
I managed to get one in a photo, they are so tiny that is almost impossible to focus them, they must be at most 3-4mm long.

I thought it was quite a good shot really....

Yeah I was going to agree actually it does look a bit like a rainbow kind of.

have you got anything to feed them with? they have particularly small mouths.
If you search my threads on the planted tank I got some really good advice that meant I kept well over half of my fry.

Garuf said:
have you got anything to feed them with? they have particularly small mouths.
If you search my threads on the planted tank I got some really good advice that meant I kept well over half of my fry.

Nothing better than feeding them with Spirulina ;)

A couple of months later I have 4 that survived in the shrimp tank, I have seem one of the larger ones eat some of the newborn shrimplets so they will have to go into the main tank, just worried their parents will eat them, should I be?

Managed to get one okish, they move so fast and being so tiny still hard to focus them properly with such a small space for the shot.

pict0106nl1.jpg

They are starting to show the colours nicely and can for sure say they are Rainbows ;)

Thanks for looking

Thomas McMillan said:
How large are they now? That's the thing that'll determine whether they're food or not for the parents.
Still less than a centimeter

They'll most likely get eaten then... In saying that, I have had Guppy fry survive with just a little bit of plant cover/surface cover in a tank with Danios, Gouramis and such.

I personally wouldn't put them in there yet even though they are eating the shrimp. You might be able to just setup like a 10gal just to grow them out? If you do put them in though, you never know. They might just dissappear and arrive again in a few months as adults.

Buy a small clearseal tank one of the £15 12" ones as a nursery. small filter small heater.

Then use it as a nursery just when needed (using water from your main tank to fill it) or an excuse for a small scape!!!! ;)

AC

My experience says that they're safe with the adults as long as the adults mouth is smaller than their mouths. Rainbows aren't especially hungry for their own fry like livebearers are. I'd still be temped to have a small grow out tank though, it'd be much better since you can monitor their progress more closely.

Back