• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anti Hair Algae and mosses

You're right on both accounts. They sell mostly marine fish and they supply me with RO water. I'll start using tap water and dechlorinator...see how I get on. Will be much easier to do 50% water changes then. Although I have to ask, if my nitrites, ammonia and phosphates are in safe levels, is a 50% water change per week necessary? Why do we need to change water that often, or is it keeping the water fresh?

Forest said:
You're right on both accounts. They sell mostly marine fish and they supply me with RO water. I'll start using tap water and dechlorinator...see how I get on. Will be much easier to do 50% water changes then. Although I have to ask, if my nitrites, ammonia and phosphates are in safe levels, is a 50% water change per week necessary? Why do we need to change water that often, or is it keeping the water fresh?

When you remove 50% of the water you are removing half of everything in the tank. That includes lots of organic waste syphoned off the substrate and decor (you should syphon off every bit you can see, dead leaves, investigate those corners at the back of the tank, etc.), half the algae spores floating in the water column and half the complex organic molecules that are present - not just half the nitrate, phosphate and the traditional things people seem to do water changes for. Also if you're dosing EI or similar method then 50% water changes ensure that the levels of fertilisers in the tank cannot build up.

For your fish also 50% water changes really help with fish health and growth and I do 50% plus water changes on all my fry tanks every couple of days and they really grow then!

Back