• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus at it.

Lindy

The discus have been breeding for some time in the big tank but the pair were reasonably chilled towards other fish. Another pair had a couple of attempts but weren't closely bonded. Then 2 relatively quiet fish paired off and claimed one half of the tank for themselves. They went ballistic when they lost their second lot of free swimmers and attacked the other fish kicking off a tank war.
They laid again so I removed them to their own tank and now the others have settled down again. The crazy couple, as they are now known, are in domestic bliss at the moment with their fry.
439d2f15f3a346101d3c9f2c009fd85d.jpg
ac3513c894e2fc65f43b1dc1dd33d04f.jpg
6571d523a8ebb963098f7639215aadac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Congrats :cigar: Have you thought of names for them yet? :D

That is truly wonderful, thanks for sharing Lindy :)
Thanks Tim. It is hard to get across the tenderness of the parents towards their fry with my rubbish phone pics but I do try lol..I'm loving watching them develop.

Love this. As soon as I have a free tank and some time I want to try and replicate it myself.

Do they solely feed off of the parents' slime coats or do you feed infusoria/bbs? Daphnia? Just curious. I see some floating plants also, do these provide a secondary food source?

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

For the first week or 2 of free swimming they feed solely on the slime coat but after that they take newly hatched or micro worms. The floating plants are in there to take up nutrients from the water and because they look nice. They fry hunt through them for any missed food too.

There's a guy in our club who breeds them outdoors in a pond. He also does guppies and angels this way. Swears by it. Of course at some point this month he'll have to go catch them all and bring them inside. We're in New England...

There's a guy in our club who breeds them outdoors in a pond. He also does guppies and angels this way. Swears by it. Of course at some point this month he'll have to go catch them all and bring them inside. We're in New England...

Oh to have the weather to do that lol! I'm in Scotland so not be warm enough even in summer

The coloration he gets is amazing. And he also says their behavior is like night to day. They are so much happier in the pond. I was thinking about digging one in my yard but I have massive tree roots to contend with. Unless they're in the ground temperatures drop in the winter. Ive been told koi won't even survive in a tub above ground

Back