• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape New 5ft Scape

Chris25

Hi all,

Finally got all my lights and hardware for my new 5ft tank.
Used the recommended Westland aquatic compost with Irish peat moss at 50/50 ratio. And have used clay balls under this to raise the height towards the back.
Spent all evening trying to do the hardscape, I'm not good at this so after your guys opinions and feedback!
I want the wood coming out of the top so I can potentially add bromiliads/orchids outside the tank and moss on the wood.
Another question I have is should I cap the substrate with sand? I quite like the substrate as a natural muddy colour, and it's hopefully going to be covered in plants after some time but worried it'll get into the water column without the sand cap?
Plants are arriving tomorrow so not given myself a huge amount of time on the hardscape but want to get it right.

Not sure about the rock on the right. might simply remove that... and maybe the one in the middle on the left, just felt the rock next to it was a bit abrupt...

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Chris

To start of with here is your biggest problem, you have ordered your plants long before your Aquascape is ready.
Plants are arriving tomorrow so not given myself a huge amount of time on the hardscape but want to get it right.

Chris%2015.9.17_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::wave:

Chris

I wrote a very detailed criticism and because it took longer than 15min it deleted it.
I will have to compact it a lot.

To get a 1/3rd focal point too far to the right.

Red lines indicate the rocks in a row as if you carefully placed them rather than a natural look.

Substrate flat lacks height here is one suggestion.

Rocks all about the same height and certainly not enough especially some with height.

Its going to be practically impossible to get it "Right" if the plants have possibly arrived.

The biggest mistake you have made was not getting the hardscape perfect first.

I am very sorry to say over all it has nothing to gain my attention main reason it lacks height and an eye flow.

Its up to you what you do now.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Had a bit of a play. Got the biggest rock they had at the LFS for the right hand side.
Not sure how the wood with the moss on will do as it came from the local woods, but I think it looks pretty cool.
Am going to add the sand as a cap. Should I remove the hardscape and then cap it or can I cap around the hardscape?
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG

Ok, so capped the substrate with sand and had another play, thinking this is getting closer but still needs a few tweaks. I think the wood was too upright last time.
Opinions?
DSC_0033.JPG

Chris
That is a big improvement but as your eye flows across your Aquascape there are four stop signs in the way. They are the three smaller rocks across the front and one loner more central.

Can you remove them and post a photo please.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your critique, it's very much appreciated.
I have removed the rocks I think you're talking about.
I did add my moss covered wood and thought it looked good. One photo with and one without.
DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG

Samjpikey

I have had many years of experience doing this plus I started learning and doing design work over 60 years ago (Non Aquarium)

Chris

I Marked your Focal Points
I also made a few more changes. I moved the moss log as it was cutting the Eye flow
The small rock RH side I moved it to the opposite side of the taller rock.
The red lines indicate the Eye flow.
By those two moves it has opened your Aquascape up for more planting.

The gaps in that rock pile can be filled with your substrate and used for very low plants.
I also added tall plants at the back to give you an idea of what can be done.

Remember too many plants will be a massive over kill not enough it will look bare all you have to is find the correct amount.

Hi Keith,

Thank you ever so much for your feedback! Everything you say makes perfect sense, I just don't see it until you point it out, I guess I need more practice and experience!
Was there meant to be another image with that previous post?

Most of the plants have arrived and this is what I have and where I was thinking of planting them, mostly in groups.

Echinodorus bleheri (Amazon Sword) x5 Background
Vallisneria Spiralis Bunch x3 background
Staurogyne Repens Tissue Culture x2 midground in front of rocks
Microsorum Pteropus Mini 'Petit' Java Fern wood/rocks
Java Moss wood
Microsorum Narrow Leaf on wood/rocks
Tiger Lotus "Nymphea Zenkeri" Red x1 background was thinking behind the rocks on the right hand side
Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini' x2 (only one turned up) midground in front of rocks
Pogostemon Erectus x3 midground/backgorund
Micranthemum ‘Monte Carlo’ x5 foreground carpet.
Pogostemon Helferi forground
Hygrophila Pantanal Wavy x3 background
BUCEPHALANDRA SPEC. ´MINI NEEDLE LEAF´ wood/rocks
Anubias mini mini wood/rocks
Aponogeton longiplumulosus background
And I have plenty of crypts from my last tank for midground / background areas.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
There certainly was I had a bit of a problem with that reply.
Chjris%202%2016.9.17%20_edited-3.jpg

I Marked your Focal Points small Red Dots
I also made a few more changes. I moved the moss log as it was cutting the Eye flow
The small rock RH side I moved it to the opposite side of the taller rock.
The red lines indicate the Eye flow.
By those two moves it has opened your Aquascape up for more planting.

The gaps in that rock pile can be filled with your substrate and used for very low plants.
I also added tall plants at the back to give you an idea of what can be done.

Remember too many plants will be a massive over kill not enough it will look bare all you have to is find the correct amount.

Nice suggestions Keith. Tilting the hardscape to the left gives a calming water flow feel to it. It's one the the advantages of having such a wide tank.

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your recommendations and time you've put into helping me! I planted it all and it's filled, just waiting on a couple more bits to arrive so it's not at it's best right now I'll take a photo soon and load it up for you to see.

Thanks,
Chris

Back