• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

setting up a pressurised C02 system using second ext filter

Feanor76

i currently have a 4ft 240ltr low light setup and im getting bored with the limited plants i can grow , i have an unused jbl proflora 602 co2 system that i was intending to use on a smaller tank but never got round to setting the tank up

my 4ft is my main tank in my living room and has a fluval FX4 filter running on it with a stocking of angel fish , german rams, bristlenose , rummynose and rasbora

due to the fx4 hose sizing not being 16/22 and not wanting to mess about with adaptors and flow, i was thinking of setting up a separate filter loop with a spare fluval 206 i have and running a hydor inline heater and an inline co2 reactor such as the sera flora 500
i was thinking to use the 206 without media just a inlet filter so i get decent flow , the only part i dont have yet is the co2 reactor

does this sound like a viable plan , anyone got something similar and can give me the pros and cons etc?

Hi, as someone who has tried every type of diffuser on the market, (and I mean all of them) from my experience any inline CO2 Diffuser with a ceramic tube quickly becomes clogged up and stops working. Then you have the messing about shutting off the filter, disconnecting all the pipe work to remove the diffuser, cleaning the ceramic tube, replacing it again only to have it not perform anything like you want it to.

Your idea of running a CO2 Diffuser of a separate filter with no media is sound so you are on the right track. Have a look at the Dupla 400 CO2 Reactor. I used one of these 15 years ago and had the best results I've ever had to date. So I have gone back to using it again. You can still buy them new, but they are not cheap, however it will last you forever and never decreases in performance. The only downside is it goes inside the tank, but that's a small price to pay for perfection.

It comes with several adapters to fit to every size outlet from your filter with no reduction in flow.

Check out some of the photos of the plants in my Trigon 190 Tank Scapes for the evidence of how it performs.

Cheers,

Steve

Back