• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice for a new setup

Warren

I am new to the UK and looking to get a tank setup shortly.

Does anyone know if most rentals will allow a fishtank. Looking at getting a 99cm long by 45cm high by 50cm deep in opti white glass.

Overseas I used a saga regulator which are fantastic however over here I cannot seem to find them. Which are some of the better regulator brands to go with. I see co2art has 3 price ranges. For a really accurate needle valve would I have to go for the one for around 200 pounds or are the other two models very accurate as well.

On a 200lt tank I was looking at external filters as only ever owned tetra tec ex 1200 plus but found the filter got clogged up quickly and had to do more maintenance than I wanted so was looking at hydor 600, fluval fx4 or eheim. Could anyone give me advice on which to go for for a planted tank. With the fx4 can you add clear piping instead of the standard black piping and are they quiet. Will it not be too powerful for this tank. I would prefer to go for more power and less maintenance and if need be I could reduce the flow slightly.

Also with regards to co2 bottles where is best to buy these in Surrey preferably fitted with a wheel valve.

Anyone have any advice on the filters best for 200litre tank. Would the fx4 be fine or would eheim or hydor 600 be better.

Hi and welcome Warren.

I think whether you're allowed an aquarium or not will depend on the landlord, check out your tenancy agreement. If yes, happy days, if it doesn't say anything about it I'd also be inclined to go ahead too, but then that's just me.

CO2 Art sell very decent equipment any of their regulators will work fine. Dual gauge or dual stage, I use both and it really makes no practical difference, except perhaps when the cylinder is almost empty, then you may get the end of tank dump from a dual gauge, but I've not noticed a great deal of difference.

As far as filters go, all the big names are pretty reliable and good value for money, but like anything you get what you pay for, and I'll always go German for efficiency, longevity, and quietness, Eheim and Hagen are pretty hard to beat. Whichever you choose give some serious thought to buying one that turns over 10x the capacity of your tank per hour.

Where to buy CO2 cylinders, check out this thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/co2-refills.4258/

By Hagen do you mean fluval?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

And for lights are the chihiros A series a good brand to go for

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

For the price the chihiros are hard to beat IMHO. Just got a A451 plus myself. For the few extra quid i would go for the plus.Both lights have a dimmer for the intensity.Even if you dont need the extra intensity of the plus the extra row of leds will give a better spread to the light.

Do you get the see through perspex stands for the lights with the plus model as well as I don't like the steel legs.

No the plus comes with the steel legs,If you prefer the perspex ones go with the standard A series or the aquasky.

Last edited:
Back