• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diary of a Mad Fish Tank

AllyP

Seedling
I'm not gonna lie, but I'm feeling a very shy and out of my depth (the first of many bad puns) but here goes! Not only am I a newbie to the wonderful world of aqua- scaping but this is the very first forum I have ever joined (shamefully looking down and trying desperately hard not to look embarrassed!)

But alas I have taken the plunge (excuse the second rubbish pun) for a variety of reasons..... but before I go into all that I wanted to take a moment and excitedly introduce myself to all my new fellow fishy friends....

My name is Ally & I live in London and in a past life (actually well over ten years ago) I was the proud owner of a cold water tropical tank. I enjoyed my new found hobby so much that one tank rapidly turned into two and I continued immersed (couldn't help myself!!) in my new hobby. After a few years of happy fish-keeping I moved abroad to live and had no choice but to very reluctantly sell my tanks.

I returned to the UK many years ago, and vowed that I would once again take up my much loved hobby....but life, work, and family always meant that there was a distraction and forever the procrastinator for one reason or another I never actually got round to it.

Then about a year ago after visiting a friend with a really incredible set up I was so inspired that I decided I wanted to jump in at the deep end (oops I did it again) and buy myself a new aquarium. So I set upon many hours and many late nights of researching and trawling (omg I get worse!) the internet to see what tank it was I wanted to buy. My only starting point was that it had to be 100 litres or more and I didn't want any unusual shapes. (My first tank was hexagonal, and whilst it looked great I later learnt that it wasn't the best for the fishes welfare). I spent weeks, no I lie months looking at different manufactures and specs and reviews before I found my idea nano tank.

Anyways.....fast forward a little and I'm the proud owner of my dream tank. Now for the "simple" task of landscaping...a bag of gravel, some plastic plants and perhaps an airstone operated treasure chest and away I go.......But the story doesn't end there....Little did I know that the world of fish keeping had evolved massively over the years and I discovered the amazing world of aquascaping. Again, I spent literally hours eagerly researching, reading and bookmarking.......

I've been so inspired and overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information, advice and ideas that I quickly realised I was out am completely out of my depth (that's the last one I promise)...and that's what's bought me here. I've been really inspired by some of the set up threads, and the information threads that I'd like to start a diary of my progress - or maybe lack of if..... and would really appreciate your inspiration, comments and advice. Ally x

Welcome
You have definitely found the right place to be gaining knowledge and develop yourself in that wonderful hobby.
Regards Konsa

Hi and welcome to ukaps. If you have specific questions then you will get the best response in the most relevant forum. Most questions have usually been asked a few times so have a rummage through the posts. Hope you enjoy it here!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back