• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All Pond Solutions EF 2 Filter booster as reactor

amritc1

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anyone else is using the APS EF2 Filter booster as a CO2 Reactor.
Recently just read through the ESCAPE thread by Lauris and is using this canister.

I have tried a few different reactors\diffusers even the Sera 1000 CO2 reactor which eventually cracked when doing a clean out.
The APS canister seems solid and brings me to my questions.

Rather than explain the setup I have created a couple of sketches.
Which Option do you think I should use?

Option 1
Option1.jpg

Option 2
Option2.jpg

Option 1 is easier for plumbing.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited:
Yes did some vids here which may help- very happy with them. I would put pump before diffuser and EF2 then CO2 under more pressure so should be taken up by water faster. Plus then the diffuser refills with water when CO2 is off which is needed esp if using JBL ones

Thank you Zues.
Just had a read through your journal great work, just amazing hopefully I can get similar results.
Got my bits coming in over the next few days and will let you know how I get on.

Ehiem 2000 Inline pump > JBL 19/25 Diffuser > APS EF2 > Heater

Hi, I ordered one of these as it advertised the inlet and outlet size to be 17mm but when it arrived I found the hose fitting then reduces to 12mm on the canister which would greatly restrict the flow. Has anyone measured the output?
Cheers
John

reduces to 12mm on the canister which would greatly restrict the flow

Yes it does dependant on your Filter output. Daveslaney put me on to the EF2 which he uses direct off his filter without an issue and reports good flow, I Did a bypass for my twin setup as the FX6 kicks out 3000L/h. I only have a trickle of water going though the reactors and got a 1.0pH drop in 49mins today. Still testing it and have some ideas to try but tank is CO2 bubble free esp with the JBL inline diffusers - Up inline atomisers need a lower flow rate to get them bubble free in the test/vids I did when I had twin EF2s in parallel with an eheim 3000+ got bubbles when pump on full flow not such problem with JBLs and the JBLs drop the pH faster too and higher tank capacity.

I’m not to worried as I have an FX 5 for doing the filtering and providing flow with a wave maker 3000 lph in the tank.
I have another loop which is run by an Eheim 2000 in-line pump to do the heating and co2 work.
Usually you do lose a bit with any reactor.
Will test this over the weekend and let you know how much loss occurs.

Will mark a 30 litre tank and fill it to a certain level.
Then will time it with existing loop and then with the canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got the chance to plumb this in and the results are great.
I tried with a inline diffuser although the results were good was getting sick of the bubbles in the tank.
Then I tried the Sera Flora reactor which was good but build quality and noise was an issue.

Now I am using the APS Filter booster with an JBL inline diffuser and results are great, no bubbles and no noise.
In the filter booster I am using bio balls and some ceramic rings and I have not noticed any flow difference.
24607788488_50517513d6.jpg

Equipment:
Eheim 2000 inline Pump
JBL inline Diffuser 19/22mm
APS EF2 Filter booster
Eheim 300w inline Heater 16mm (to be upgraded as I had to use reducers)
APS green tubing 18/25mm

Good point drop checker is a nice lime green.

Image of my flow

38483287991_c5aa44ec80.jpg

Drop checker is in the bottom right of this image.
Thanks Edvet for your advise, will be updating the other thread this weekend :).

I've just started injecting c02 into my 125 litre tank with an Up Aqua Inline diffuser and would like to try this out. i.e. Use an APS EF2 filter booster as a reactor. At the moment, I have quite a lot of bubbles escape to the surface and also have quite a but of 'mist'.

I did try the Sera 1000 reactor, but it was just too noisy!

I'm currently using an Tetra EX1200 canister filter that is rated at 1200lph.

Do you think this would be enough flow on it's own with the APS EF2, or would I also need the separate Eheim pump? I do have a couple of Koralia pumps in the tank to help with flow...

I'm a bit confused by the diagram above... Could you tell me where your canister filter sits in this setup?

Thanks very much.

Will.

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anyone else is using the APS EF2 Filter booster as a CO2 Reactor.
Recently just read through the ESCAPE thread by Lauris and is using this canister.

I have tried a few different reactors\diffusers even the Sera 1000 CO2 reactor which eventually cracked when doing a clean out.
The APS canister seems solid and brings me to my questions.

Rather than explain the setup I have created a couple of sketches.
Which Option do you think I should use?

Option 1
View attachment 110383
Option 2
View attachment 110384

Option 1 is easier for plumbing.

Thanks in advance for your advice
I've just started injecting c02 into my 125 litre tank with an Up Aqua Inline diffuser and would like to try this out. i.e. Use an APS EF2 filter booster as a reactor. At the moment, I have quite a lot of bubbles escape to the surface and also have quite a but of 'mist'.

Do you think this would be enough flow on it's own with the APS EF2, or would I also need the separate Eheim pump? I do have a couple of Koralia pumps in the tank to help with flow...

I'm a bit confused by the diagram above... Could you tell me where your canister filter sits in this setup?

Thanks very much.

Will.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Hi, I ordered one of these as it advertised the inlet and outlet size to be 17mm but when it arrived I found the hose fitting then reduces to 12mm on the canister which would greatly restrict the flow
If only I read this before ordering one, good job I didn't order all 3 straight away.
I wanted to put them inline instead of putting a separate loop in, I think you could drill them out retro fit some PVC or ABS fittings and still use them inline if restricted flow is an issue - thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Will.

Having a quick google the Tetra EX1200 uses 16mm I/D hose so the APS filter booster will I'm sure restrict flow if the in/out of it narrows to 12mm.

you could try measuring the flow with and without an APS filter by that I mean see how quickly the filter will fill a bucket to say 10L without then add it and see how much change in flow there is by timing it, you would need to have the bucket at the same height above the filter as your tank.

On the thread escape you will see it is just plumbed inline
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/escape.40308/page-7

The diagrams you are a bit confused by I think you are best off dropping ritc2 a private message and asking them. I'm unsure if they have it on a separate in/out or teed into the main filtration.

Having a quick google the Tetra EX1200 uses 16mm I/D hose so the APS filter booster will I'm sure restrict flow if the in/out of it narrows to 12mm.

you could try measuring the flow with and without an APS filter by that I mean see how quickly the filter will fill a bucket to say 10L without then add it and see how much change in flow there is by timing it, you would need to have the bucket at the same height above the filter as your tank.

On the thread escape you will see it is just plumbed inline
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/escape.40308/page-7

The diagrams you are a bit confused by I think you are best off dropping ritc2 a private message and asking them. I'm unsure if they have it on a separate in/out or teed into the main filtration.
Hi

I've ordered the 1.2 litre version at £14.99. It says it's for 16mm hose, so I think it's ok for my 16/22 hose. I'll soon see and report back!

Think I will just try it and see having it inline after my filter. Again I will report back! ;)

Cheers

Will

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Hi Will,

Sorry just been really busy with work and all.
I am running the APS EF2 on a separate loop. The reason was I wanted to keep filtration separate from heater and co2 injection. Also needed more flow so just decided on an in-line pump for additional flow, you can never and enough

If you read back Zeus on here has been running his through his FX6.

I did not notice much of a flow difference either.

Hi Will,

Sorry just been really busy with work and all.
I am running the APS EF2 on a separate loop. The reason was I wanted to keep filtration separate from heater and co2 injection. Also needed more flow so just decided on an in-line pump for additional flow, you can never and enough

If you read back Zeus on here has been running his through his FX6.

I did not notice much of a flow difference either.

Hi Amritc

I guess I can always upgrade with an additional external pump if it doesn't work out... I think I will probably end up doing that sooner rather the later although there will be a lot of pipes!! :-/

Thanks so much for the info :)

Cheers

Will

Put my EF filter booster on today as a reactor. Also replaced my up aqua with a JBL (as per Zeus). Looking good so far... No micro bubbles yet! Tight fit in my cupboard though. ;)

Cheers

Will
1ae1102c9818cc945a4524a0440b3d4d.jpg

You will get better results if you plumb the booster in the other way round in at top out at bottom. That way the co2 bubble try to rise against the flow and mix better.

You will get better results if you plumb the booster in the other way round in at top out at bottom. That way the co2 bubble try to rise against the flow and mix better.
Thanks very much Daveslaney...That makes sense. I'll switch that around tomorrow. I followed the instructions included with the booster, but of course it's being used for something different! :)

Tight fit in my cupboard though.

Yours looks roomy ;)

Just done a flow diagram for another thread for my setup

upload_2017-12-16_17-46-12.png

Get low flow in reactors but it keeps them quiet and no issues with getting or maintaining pH drop. Added a WC drain/fill point for ease of maintenance

Back