• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Belfast Sink Pond - frost proofing?

Unfortunately we siliconed the plug in to make sure the sink doesn't leak!

I think I'll be draining it. It will be easy enough this year as nothing will be established anyway, and we'll just be planting pots which we can move out no problem.

My initial concern was the underside, I hadn't thought so much about the water freezing and cracking it until I saw all your responses when I first posted.

The underside doesn't seem to have any sort of enamel on it, looks pretty porous, but as @zozo said, if it's not sat on the floor, that probably won't be a problem.

belfastbottom.jpg

@mort is right though, it's a pretty solid sink!

We're currently using it to store all our plants while we try and sort our wildlife pond out, anyone know what the pictured plant with the red on the leaves is?

belfast1.jpg

belfast2.jpg

Thanks.

thanks @TheBubblingScot - that looks like it.

Interesting because I saw the same plant in someone's garden a week or so ago, and they told me I couldn't possibly have it growing in my pond!

Well the link mentions it as a bog plant, so will be okay on the edges of your pond where it isn't completely submersed I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also have to be what looks like a geum in the right corner. This is a plant that again does well in the margins but not over the crown. Both species are really moist soil lovers but can adapt.

That makes sense, I was a bit baffled because they were adamant it wasn't a pond plant, and I knew it was in our pond! lol.

You're right though, it's been growing on the edge, mostly out of water bar the roots.

I'm debating moving a clump of each to the bog garden once it's setup, good spot with the geum @mort - we picked it up a few months back in the pond plants section but I'm wondering if it'd prefer bog to water now.

Thanks.

Geum rivale can get to about 50x50cm in a couple of years. It provides thick cover and can be easily divided, so I tend to plant it around the edge of the pond but not in the water so it doesn't take over. Drumstick primulas do a similar job and give a great display.

Cool, thanks @mort we'll definitely shift both of those in that case.

We needed plants for the bogs so that works out pretty well!

I would treat the plant like you would mint! It is quite invasive and difficult to clear once its "escaped"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks @AndyOx - we're going to keep it out of the water and in a contained bog garden - we've made several out of big pots that we've sunk into the ground.

Let hope it stays contained!

Although I never seem to have much luck with the more invasive plants - I've been trying to nurture helixine for years and it's only just started to cover recently, same with creeping jenny, I just can't get it to take off.

It spread all around the rockery, under the water fall and dipped into the pond, very colourful foliage and nice orange smell to them too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just saw this thread listed at the bottom of another so thought I'd add that even with the severe winter we had my sink and those of my neighbour survived unscathed even though they were full to the brim.

Back