• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experiences cleaning inline diffusers?

Not been in the CO2 forum for a while but I was doing mine at the same time as Purigen every 2-3 months. At a fiver each I had 2 and just 'swapped' them over. I had 2 purigen bags too and kept the newly cleaned one in a dark DI water filled box in a dark cupboard until the next change to stop it from cracking.

So just like the Purigen it had 1 day in bleach followed by 1 day in vinegar followed by 1 day in dechlor. (In a bowl in the shed. lol)

I assume it should be bleach first then vinegar and not the other way round to restore any Ph difference that may happen to neutral? Maybe there is no difference with the diffuser etc. lol

One thing I will add though (Boyu) is when I first used these with the Tetratec I could see the bubbles and I only used it for a month or so before returning to a Rhinox. The bubbles were too big and you could see them come out the lily straight to the surface and therefore pointless.

When I used it with the Eheim I could see no bubbles!!! 100% solution in essence.

Both filters rated at 700lph and the diffuser positioned 6" from filter on the out side.

AC

strat100 said:
How much!!!!http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tilex-Mold-Mildew-Remover-473/dp/B0009P68M0

Lol at the retailer there. The shipping weight gives away that the price is for a case. Maybe 6 but the others seem to ship in 9s.

Tom - Which version of the Tilex do you use? Is it the one above as there are a few different versions. Not sure the daily shower cleaner is going to do the business. lol

AC

No, it's much more concentrated and whitens faster.
There is likely some equivalent in the UK.

Just gotta look and see.

Resurrecting an old thread but how do people go about cleaning their inline diffusers these days?
Frequency? - Going to start using it on the dirty side
How are you making sure the bleach is rinsed out thoroughly?

Has anyone considered using anything like Kilrock to remove the limescale? - how do you go about neutralising a product like this? I've got very hard water so it builds up a bit quicker.

Has anyone considered using anything like Kilrock to remove the limescale? - how do you go about neutralising a product like this? I've got very hard water so it builds up a bit quicker.
Yes, Kilrock is just Formic acid, which is about 10X stronger than vinegar. Any acid can be used to dissolve limescale, which is simply Calcium Carbonate. This is not a big deal. Use it and rinse under the tap.

As mentioned above, if there is algae or other organic material buildup on the diffuser you can soak in bleach. I don't have the patience to wait over night. I just soak in 100% bleach for 5-10 minutes and then rinse thoroughly under the tap.

Cheers,

I soak mine in pure lemon juice for 30 minutes then rinse in tap water - works for me!

plain not scented!
Haha, I had worked that bit out. I'm sure there are many that don't!

I don't have the patience to wait over night
Thinking about getting spares and rotating as I'm not patient either!

I soak mine in pure lemon juice for 30 minutes then rinse in tap water - works for me!

Thanks for the input guys, I will have a ponder and find out what works for me best
andy

Just cleaned mine for the first time over the weekend. I took the following method suggested by a few before:

1. soaking in 100% thin bleach for a few hours (just a generic cheap one from Morrisons)
2. followed by cleaning using a tube brush and thorough rinsing
3. soaking in white vinegar to remove calcium (also bought from Morissons). Next time I'll try Killrock
4. rinsing and soaking in water with fair amount of Seachem Prime.

I haven't tried out this newly-cleaned diffuser yet to check if this cleaning method was effective but hoping that it will be working better than before I took it off for cleaning. Lately it was producing clearly enlarged bubbles and the dissolution rate clearly dropped as I was having to turn up the needle valve more and more to achieve a lime green DC.

The new diffuser I swapped it with whilst cleaning was bought on ebay and it made such a big difference - the bubbles are now gone and there is such a fine mist that from a few feet away the tank doesn't look like it's being injected with CO2!

Back