• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie - Needs help with Setup

Bonesaqua

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right section for this post. I am new into aquariums. I was over this weekend looking for an aquarium saw a few and I liked the below;

1. Akvastabil Fusion - 80x40x45 cm · 144 litre · 6 mm glass
2. Juwel Rio 125 - 81 x 36 x 50 cm

I liked the Akvastabil, but the jewel comes with the filter. So If i go with the Akvastabil, I will have to buy a filter extra and the shop guy suggested me JBL CristalProfi e701 Greenline. Is this a good filter? Is there any other alternative suggestion?

I am also not sure about the lighting. I know the Juwel comes with the light, but was told I will have to change it for aquascaping. Is this true? If yes what type of lights will I be needing for such capacity tanks? I will mostly end up with the Akvastabil, I am not sure what is the lighting option in it.

What other equipments and accessories are needed for me to start? I have still no idea about plants which I will ask and post later. But for now I need help in buying the right and must have equipment.

Looking forward to all your help.

Thanks.
B

if your going planted, you will need flow 10 times bigger than your tank volume. This will help circulate ferts/co2.

Hiya bonesaqua, I have a juwel rio 125 but replaced the filter with an external to get the 10 x turn over, which from my (minimal!) experience is a must, But based on budget I am trying to make the juwel lighting work (2 x t5s) with juwel reflectors, I think if anything they are quiet strong for what I am growing (easy to medium hard) various posts on this site indicate that they should be sufficient but as I say I still have to get the balance right!

Hi Bones

Thats one BIG question and where to start :eek:. First tip dont buy anything until you know what type of aquascape you plan to do and what equipment you will need to do it, there are many paths you can take, high and low tech routes, easy/medium/hard plants. A good place to start is how much do you plan to spend? Be cautious of advise from Local Fish Shops (LFS) as some dont know what there talking about and will sell your anything. There are many members on this forum who will great great advise for free with years of experiance, plus loads of old threads which are a treasure chest of information, plus you can see their tanks they have done too. Lots to learn, take your time esp if going for CO2, if going for non CO2 and low tech you can get away with winging it, but much better rewarding result can be achieve if you take your time. Its your call/money

So to help you others will need some ideas of your goals and budget. A pic of a aquascaped tank you have seen and you would like to do can be a great aid too.

Zeus

Thank you all for your reply.

@greenmac and superjam - I will make sure I get a filter 10x turnover.

@Zeus - I am not buying anything until I figure this out :) Happy to be here, for all the help.

I was looking at the used market and saw a Rio 125 listed, its about two years old. Looking If can can get that for a good price, So I can invest in an external filter and rest of the tech. Is it ok to use two filters? the internal of the juwel and the external one?

I am looking at nature style with something like a tree on a slope on the left side and a forest on the right, with a path in between.

I went for a juwel because of budget (also second hand!) and based on previous experience of the brand, however had I looked around abit more I might have gone with something else - came to this forum a little late in the process... great advice from Zeus!

Specifically about the juwel I see no reason why you could use the internal in conjunction with an external but you would have to consider the flow when adding an external, I removed it because it was large and unsightly! That said if you go to the Tropica website and browse the inspiration section there are amazing scapes using factory standard juwel tanks with the internal actually incorporated into the design ;)

I will make sure I get a filter 10x turnover.

The x10 turnover can be from multiple devices, I use a filter and an independent line pump, others use powerheads and/or wavemakers with their single/multiple filters/sumps as well, power head can be helpful for deadspot too.

Is it ok to use two filters?

Yes use as many as you like, but hardware in tank is unsightly IMO. External heater helps reduce hardware in tank too, fit it to return from external filter. External filter most popular with aquascaping esp if you plan CO2

I am looking at nature style with something like a tree on a slope on the left side and a forest on the right, with a path in between.

So something straight forward :eek:

kadoxo is doing One Tree Hills ATM in a nano tank, You can pick his brains, very helpful member.

Ok so here is what I have decided.

Tank - Akvastabil Fusion - 80x40x45 cm
Filtration -JBL CristalProfi e1501/2

CO2 - I am struggling here. Can you please provide me suggestions. Do I need a PH monitor?

Last edited:
Thanks Hogan.

I did go to the link. They have a few options whihc one o them would I need, any idea what are the differences? Will I be needing anything else other than a co2 Cylinder getting one of those kits?

Also similar to the filter, is there any difference in getting a higher diffuser, I mean one that supports up to 300l instead of a 200l for a 150l tank or just stick with 200l, since these is no much price difference?

Regards,
B

Last edited:
Ok, I dint buy either of those tanks, I went and got a 60L starter tank. Its a used one and got for a good price. since I was just beginning had second thoughts and went the budget route;
http://www.aa-aquarium.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=432

It came with some drift wood and gravel and filter. I will be using the drift wood. The filter dint look maintained and I am throwing it away also the gravel. I am currently following up on an ad posted for a used SUNSUN 304B filter. Any feedback on this filter?

I have cleaned the aquarium with water vinegar solution and is kept for drying. I can still see some green algae spots along the silicon. how can I get this removed? Is it ok to keep the tank in sun for a while?

The tank has an inbuilt hood lightning.
http://www.aa-aquarium.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=377
since its an inbuilt hood lighting, can I replace this with something else? What lighting should I sue for this tank specification.

Regards,
B

It's fine to keep the tank in sun. You could also use mild bleach to clean the tank and then wash it with water adding dechlorinator. This will remove any traces of chlorine in the bleach.

From the link you have provided for the light, it looks small relative to the length of your tank. I would suggest replacing or supplementing with led strip lights that will cover the full length.

Hope this helps

the jewel is ok but most of the equipment is pretty useless if you really get in to the hobby

Hi Bones,
I am on my second Rio the first gave up after 12 years!! but towards the end I did remove the filter and use an external, in the early days the filter was not fixed, you did it yourself! I still like the Rio and I am just trying to get into Aquascaping, even in that so will see how it goes.

It may be of interest to you but I also have a very old Juwel 60L tank, when the lighting unit failed, and a replacement proved to be too hot, I replaced it with a string of LED moduls, that are cheap on eBay, I also put 6 x 1Watt LEDs in my 20L shrimp tank. I am going to replace the 60L LEDs with these, but need a constant current controller to match, and get MAX power from them...
Here's a few pics, that might help.
Regards
Mel.

Leds-1.jpg Leds-3.jpg Leds-4.jpg Leds60L-1.jpg

Ok, I dint buy either of those tanks, I went and got a 60L starter tank. Its a used one and got for a good price. since I was just beginning had second thoughts and went the budget route;
http://www.aa-aquarium.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=432

It came with some drift wood and gravel and filter. I will be using the drift wood. The filter dint look maintained and I am throwing it away also the gravel. I am currently following up on an ad posted for a used SUNSUN 304B filter. Any feedback on this filter?

I have cleaned the aquarium with water vinegar solution and is kept for drying. I can still see some green algae spots along the silicon. how can I get this removed? Is it ok to keep the tank in sun for a while?

The tank has an inbuilt hood lightning.
http://www.aa-aquarium.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=377
since its an inbuilt hood lighting, can I replace this with something else? What lighting should I sue for this tank specification.

Regards,
B
Hello,
If I were you, I would not buy anything else. Just use the equipment that you bought and avoid CO2 completely for the time being.
If you are new to aquariums the best thing is to start with simple, hardy plants and learn the ropes without complications or expense.

I suggest that if you have not already found substrate, that you visit a bonzai nursery, if one is nearby, or go online and find any clay substrate.
Have a look at the information in this thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/akadama-a-cheap-substrate.741/
You can get any similar brand that is cheap.
In the beginning it clouds the water but the dust settles.
There are fancy brands selling essentially the same stuff for 10X the price.

As I mentioned, get simple plants such as anubias, ferns and moss. These should be cheap and readily available in any shop that sells plants.

Avoid putting any fish in the tank for a while as it will allow you to concentrate on the plants and getting the tank healthy enough for animals.

Keep it simple (and cheap) is my advice.

Cheers,

Back