• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to !!

MarkyP

Hi all
I have just come back from holiday to a mess of a tank covered in algae ( green slime and brown ) and plants not looking good. I have'nt done a water change for 16 days the fish were feed with a automatic feeder once day on low dose just enough for my fish stock, the co2 has dropped form 3bps to under 1bps.
What should i do solve this...
1) water change and clean as much off as i can and reset co2 and ferts
2) as above plus add algae exit
3) do a complete strip down

thanks in advance for any help offered

Marky, put a pic up so i can see how bad it is. Loads of options but depends on your setup. Strip down is a last resort.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
this one was before i went on holiday

Attachments

• IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 112
more info - light on for 6 hours 2 x t5 28w with one reflector on the rear tube co2 normally 3bps and drop checker lime green - ferts 20ml profito once a week after weekly 40% water change - 25 harlequin rasbora fed once a day + 3 otocinclus

It looks like its mainly on the floor which hints at un eaten food.

If its slimey you could hoover most of it up. You can add black mollys who will eat the lot in a few days, amano shrimp will do the same but takes longer. Do a full light out for a few days or you can dose hydrogen peroxide 3% proof. Most places like boots sell it at 6%. Add some distilled water to dilute it. You can get a cheap medicine syringe & just squirt it straight on. If its on the leaves higher up, lower the water level and spray it on. Leave it for 30 mins then refil. It bubbles like mad but thats because it converts to o2 when its in water. Fish love it

I have watched the automatic food feeder and the fish eat all the food delivered, the pogostemon erectus looks like it has died and the monte carlo is brown and looks dead will these recover?
will try hydrogen peroxide, i might try a couple of black mollies, no aquatics near me stock amano shrimps i tried a few months back to get some, I'm begin to think the bio load from the fish is too high and that has caused the problem along side missing my weekly 40% w/c

Hi
If it smells it could be Cyanobacteria!
Order for the day is the largest water change you can do ....syphon out the algae as much as possible!
If its Blue/Green it is mostly down to low Nitrate levels and other factors mentioned in this article below!

Description This isn't a true algae, but a bacteria called cyanobacteria that is able to photosynthesise. Covers everything in a blue/green slimy mat. Easily peels off but grows back again very quickly. It can smell pretty foul. It is very commonly found in the substrate and especially along the front glass where is receives light.
Cause Often caused by very low nitrates. It is fairly common to have it growing in the substrate against the front glass from where it can spread. Sometimes it appears with new setups that have had light and ammonia present at some point. Dirty substrates and filters may also bring it on. Poor water circulation is another possible cause.
Removal A blackout is the best method for this. Clean out as much of the algae as you can and do a 30 to 50% water change. If your nitrates are low then add some potassium nitrate to get levels to 20ppm. Remove CO2 and add an airstone. Turn off lights and cover the whole tank so no light can enter. Leave it for 3 to 4 days. No peeking and no feeding - fish will be fine without food for this period. After 3 to 4 days remove the covers and do a 30 - 50% water change. Remove airstone and start CO2. You will need to dose nitrates to keep them dropping too low again. Make sure your substrate and filter doesn't become too clogged up with mulm and also make sure you have good water circulation around the whole tank.
Another option is to treat with Maracyn which is an anti-biotic. Seems to work well but may affect the biological filter. In the UK it is illegal to purchase Maracyn without first getting a prescription for it from a vet.

Where in cheshire are you? Pets at home stock them. Monte carlo should come back, i think your others should too. May be an idea to cut back on feeding too. What is your light period?

I feed once every few days. That forces them to forrage around

thanks hogan the reply you posted has got me thinking you maybe right, will do full test on the tank tomorrow and post results

Where in cheshire are you? Pets at home stock them. Monte carlo should come back, i think your others should too. May be an idea to cut back on feeding too. What is your light period?

Ellesmere port - light period 6hrs 2x28w t5 one tube with a refector

I am over that way soon, been asked to do a tank, maybe 2 at the blue planet aquarium.

water test results before water change
ph-7
no3-0
nh4-0
i have tested twice for nitrate (no-3) and both times the result is 0

just done a 75% w/c and removed as much algae as i could, will test the water later after co2 and lights on. Some of my plants have started to rot and i cant find one of my otto's :(

Back