• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

who invited this guy?!

SeanOB

just wandering if anyone can identify this unwanted guest please. found 3 in my tank in the last 2 weeks.

cnheeio.jpg

I suspect it is some sort of larvae. I did see one come out of the substrate, like a worm. No signs of them attacking fish or shrimp thankfully. I have been chucking them out anyway.

edit; they are nearly an inch long

It could be planarian worms ( flatworms ) if they are they could pose a problem - copper based treatments work but the dead bodies can pollute a tank very quickly, they reproduce fast and are cannibalistic as well as attacking small shrimps

I don't know much about this sort of thing but I thought maybe a fly larvae of some sort, like crane fly or similar?

If it's flat and moves like a ribbon through the water it's a leach. On further inspection it looks more like insect larvae. Bear in mind dragonflies are dangerous

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Definitely not dragon fly
Pretty sure 99.9% it's crane fly
Back in the day I was on the Northern lecture circuit giving talks on pond life & insects.
(Not sure where my id book is at the moment though)

Hi all,
Pretty sure 99.9% it's crane fly
They are pretty common in fresh water, I'd always assumed that they were found only in swamps and over-grown ponds etc., but we get <"Tipula maxima"> larvae in the kick samples from the stream on campus, and from the By Brook to the east of Bath, which are both pretty clean limestone streams.

cheers Darrel

Back