• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila Corymbosa leaves blackening.

chinwag

Hi,

I've hit problems with a couple of plants currently but I thought a thread for each would be easier than one massive post.

My Hygrophila Corymbosa leaves are blackening - not all of them, and for the most part, it seems healthy.

I have it growing emersed in a very large jar, mix of aquatic compost and irish moss peat capped with really fine gravel.

I'm misting daily, it's getting plenty of light, and I have several in different containers that are putting on new growth.

All have the occasional limp/soggy leaf here and there, but generally are OK and I think just adjusting to being pulled out of the water since being purchased.

The black leaves though, not sure why that's happening, just wondered if anyone knew what causes that?

hygrophila corymbosa fail.jpg

hygrophila corymbosa fail 1.jpg

Thanks.

Still seeing this issue, doesn't really seem to be spreading though (at least not quickly), and other than that, the plant seems quite healthy and is putting out new growth, I'm a bit baffled.

theblackplague.jpg

almost looks like they are burnt huh?! I have had a similar thing with a fern in my terrariums, they grow well, but then the tips that touch the glass go brown and melt.

I wander if it is that they become too damp at the tips due to all the condensation on the glass (a strange thought for a plant like yours, that we enjoy submerged too)

Thanks for the replies guys. I think you might be right, I'll keep an eye on which leaves are doing it, also might move these so most of the plant is submerged as they've been like this for a little while now with just the lower part submerged and apart from the black they seem quite happy.

I might leave just the very top out of the water and see how they cope.
Thanks.

Back