• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Normal test results: but problem with mobile nutrients?

Cor

Have a heavy planted nano (24L) and plants are growing great. But I've problems with the Staurogyne repens.
Older leaves getting dark green and covered in (looks like green-spot) algae?

So my first thoughts were problems with mobile nutrients but test results show nothing special:
NO3 = 20 ppm
PO4 = 1.5 ppm
FE = 1 ppm
pH = 6.6
KH = 4
CO2 = 30.1
(end of the day testing; 2 day's before WC)

Tank specs:
Aquarium 40x25x25cm = 24 liter
Licht Chihiros RGB-30 - 1200 Lumen / 8 hours
Pres. CO2
Ferts - DIY ADA
Substrate: ADA Amazonia
50% RO water
Good filtration, good flow

Any advice/ thoughts..?
tia Cor
158bjie.jpg

I've good CO2 and PO4 shows by testing 1.5 ppm. So there's one only 1 thing remaining: bad flow.

There is no way to increase it so I'll have to take out filtration material. And there's not much inside already.
Only some small amount of Eheim Substrat Pro and very little filter pad.
So I'm afraid I don't have enough...:nailbiting: Is it risky?

I have adjusted the flow and slightly increased the CO2. Hope this resolves the problem.
Keep you posted

PO4 to 2ppm would be my first inclination unless feeding a lot of fishes.
I see this GSA begin to develop on anubia leaves in low tech, and after a few week's of extra KH2PO4, the stuff begin's to go away.
Could be the 1.5 ppm KH2PO4 isn't enough for what it once was enough for.
I feed quite a few fishes in low tech so some phosphate is available for the plant's, but I also add a bit of the dry mineral which seem's to work under lower light energy.
Could be CO2 and light is near spot on but phosphate is in more demand due to the plant mass increasing in recent weeks.
As mentioned,,in my low tech tanks the added phosphate from the dry mineral slat might take a few week's for me to see the algae go away to large degree.
Just thinking out loud.

PO4 to 2ppm would be my first inclination unless feeding a lot of fishes
The measurement of the PO4 was at the end of the day. So uptake has already taken place.
I don't have any fish, only some Amano shrimps. So I don't feed much
I think the plants themselves look pretty healthy.
Yes, the plants look good. Perhaps some slight deformation of leafs.
The problems have only old leaf, hence my comment about mobile nutrients.
New Staurogyne leaves are pale and old leaves are dark in color. Rotala seems to be fine.

Still, I have my concerns about the CO2. As you can see, the dropchecker is almost yellow. In a solution specially for 30 ppm...
24q4p6q.jpg

Well does not hurt to add a pinch more of KH2PO4 and see what plant's think independent of test kit?
Drop checker color will always be more yellow near the surface (according to photo) where O2/CO2 exchange happen's.(Gas rises up and out quickly)
Maybe drop checker placed lower in the tank near the bottom might not read same as closer to the surface.
Might move the drop checker around lower to different areas and see?If this is being used as gauge.

I've put the DC on a different location to be sure and also will make a stock KH2PO4 to raise de ppm a bit.
Now wait and see how it works out :thumbup:

Back