• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

questioning local fish store

chrisjohnson

I have been using my lfs for three to four years now. And always thought they were very good.
until this morning that is. Went to get my Ro water as usual and spooted that they had two tubs of java Moss, so I asked the shop assistant how much they were being sold for. So he came over and looked at a sign which was hanging above from the ceiling. The sign read 'Java Fern £7.99'.
"£7.99 mate" he said. "that tub there of moss is £7.99. Are you sure?" I asked.

now unless I'm very mistaken I thought that java fern and java moss are completely different.?

:lol: Poor guy probably has an upcomming burn out or is feels heavily underpayed.. Or he might just be dyslectic and he can't help it. Beeing dyslectic is the same as colorblind but than with words, how hard you try you wont see it.For the rest these people are oftenly misunderstood and pretty normal, some even above average intelligent..

That's why i eventualy don't try not to take situations like this to personal. Just smile pinch an eye and ask are you sure? and if he says yes than say.. Should i help you read it again?.. :)

haha not sure he was dystcetic or however it's spelt. But then again u can never tell. Ah well suffice to say I ddnt buy it. Not at that price anyways.

:) Indeed you can never tell if you don't respond without prejudice.. It can happen to all of us.. Could be a "Reado" the same as we all have "Typo's".. For example you probably ddnt notice you wrote ddnt instead of Didn't. :)

Being dyslexic myself I can do a post, read it back and my mind automatically adds what I'm trying to post. But it doesn't make sense to others. Or maybe I just post a load of BS all the time ;)

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

can I jus make it clear that this post was not about being dyslexic in any way. I don't know how this came about. I was simply sayin that iv lost a bit if confidence in my lfs due to the fact that he couldn't tell the physical difference between moss and fern.

can I jus make it clear that this post was not about being dyslexic in any way.
;) I'm confident nobody said so, don't take it personal.. I was the one who said maybe he is.. Or just had a simple brainfart because he didn't sleep very well.

lost a bit if confidence in my lfs.
That was clear in the first post..

due to the fact that he couldn't tell the physical difference between moss and fern.
That's not a fact, more like an assumption.. :)

I realy hope this all doesn't make you lose any confidence in us.

Sorry went off topic :(
Don't really listen to LFS advise or very few off them. They have to prove there worth. Normally go to LFS knowing what I want and avoid the technical questions, if they had a decent aquascapers tank then that's different. Asked lots of question at TGM.

I'd love to be more supportive of my LFS's but as I've learned more over the years I've sadly discovered that many are just going through the motions and a lot of the advice I've been given in the past has turned out to have been either simply wrong or unfounded opinion or a justification for the way they happen to do things. Overtime all my most local shops have one by one crossed a line that's made me decide to vote with my wallet and no longer support them. I speculate that the primary mistake most of them are making is to attempt to compete on price with the chain stores and online sales, when they should be focusing on quality of both livestock and advice and educating their customers that quality is worth shelling out a bit more for. For example in the USA there seems to be a clear division between those stores that quarantine fish that arrive from the wholesaler and those that don't. Obviously it costs more to quarantine fish than not to, but I've yet to find a local store that either quarantines or prophylactically medicates. The closest many of them get to this is to chuck a load of salt in with each shipment such that in the days I still bought fish from them I'd measure the TDS in the bag at anywhere from 800ppm to over 1000ppm - our local tap is under 300ppm.

Nowadays I much prefer to interact, learn and buy from fellow hobbyist "sellers", especially if they can either grow plants really well or breed fish really well since the proof will always be in the pudding!

I have been using my lfs for three to four years now. And always thought they were very good.
until this morning that is. Went to get my Ro water as usual and spooted that they had two tubs of java Moss, so I asked the shop assistant how much they were being sold for. So he came over and looked at a sign which was hanging above from the ceiling. The sign read 'Java Fern £7.99'.
"£7.99 mate" he said. "that tub there of moss is £7.99. Are you sure?" I asked.

now unless I'm very mistaken I thought that java fern and java moss are completely different.?
I not sure is it the cost or the mistake that worries you if you have been with them for years they can’t be all bad,retail shops have it tough at the moment help by buying a few bits fish food etc and many had not quite got yet it about the plant side of it ,wait till a quite time have a chat about Amano,George Farmer,UKAPS th ey might see the opportunity for a good Planted tank section in there

Partly due to retail uncertainty,cannot pay too much but it’s true seeing the owner explain a fish firstly by its name species name and then by its common name and it’s recommended requirements seems rarer . as is advising on quarantine,I went into a well known store chain ,staff member not knowing my own knowledge told me the tetras I was viewing looked and were happy in at least twelve in number which was absolutely the right advice,he probably had novice aquarists,were all guilty here at some point,asking for 3 of those 1 of them ,a mix mish mash in their first tank doomed to failure.

Be a really sad day Darrel the pressure of buisness only interests,internet only buying,that shop interaction all lost.

But setting up a shop one can visit attracts many extra costs, plus red tape, which ultimately is passed onto the customer.
Plus if had a batch of snail free plants growing would you let the public near them!
I personally think in our niche hobby the supply is pretty good at reasonable prices. Our sponsers on here do great plants and competitive prices and good after sales support/replacements. I wouldn't have any issue buying online

Back