• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MC Mountains - 12g long

This tank is awesome. Simple, clean but awesome :D

Thanks! almost coming up to a year old, keeping it simple is something I think you need in long (not that a year is that long) running tank

Just wondering who you get on with water changes? a 50% water change is going to not leave much depth for the fish, does this bother them?

Just wondering who you get on with water changes? a 50% water change is going to not leave much depth for the fish, does this bother them?

Yah the fish and shrimp seem fine when I do a water change, there is a good few inches of water down the left side when I drain 50% of the water.

Added 15 Boraras maculatus (Dwarf Rasbora's) today to see if they would bring the Boraras urophthalmoides out a bit more, in the shop you could clearly see the Dwarf Rasbora's where not as shy, they do seem more adventurous and hang out in the open water area but the Boraras urophthalmoides still just hang down the right hand side in all the plants when the lights are on, perhaps because this is where I always feed them and they know they will get food while the lights are on? The Dwarf Rasbora's will often swim down to the right hand side and join all the other Boraras. They have only been in the tank for 6 hours so perhaps to early to see if any behaviors change.

Also something had been nipping at the Dwarf Rasbora's fins, would have either been at the aquarium shop or supplier i guess, didnt notice until i took the macro shots.

Raised the light up to maxium height, partly because I am sick of trimming the carpet and also to see if the lower light level makes the fish more active.

I may start feeding the fish down the other end of the tank to see if that stops them from only hanging down the right end when lights are on, once the lights are off they do start to swim all over and hang in the open water a little more.

35957065075_28afff967b_c.jpg
IMG_9798
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35957064635_b5475a26df_c.jpg
IMG_9796
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35957063705_bdd7347a0c_c.jpg
IMG_9792
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35957064545_7ace44c5fd_c.jpg
IMG_9700
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35957061535_787ff96e70_c.jpg
IMG_9696
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35916049346_22c9958a9e_c.jpg
IMG_9802
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35916048756_7cc0fd26af_c.jpg
IMG_9804
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Took a video with my SLR, kind of tricky because my couch is in the way.

Trimmed the carpet last on the 4th June, let it grow for about 10 weeks before trimming which is pushing it but the under growth wasn't to yellow, hoping now the light is extended full height I can push out the trimming to about 12 - 15 weeks. Since adding the Dwarf Rasboras the Explanation Point have really came alive, the tank is now very fun to watch with about 40ish little fish buzzing around.

36601340586_7cfa3eea49_c.jpg
IMG_0078 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35838789273_e204e6fdd2_c.jpg
IMG_0079 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Coming up to 2 months since i last trimmed the carpet, could probably leave it another few weeks, the tripartita continues to take over everything, wouldn't recommend this plant if you dont like trimming... I hate trimming :p I will cut back the triparita from the MC next weekend If I have time.

36883103964_d3ba98ecf9_c.jpg
IMG_0698
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

what skimmer is used?

Hi its a Ocean Free SurfClear Skimmer, not as powerful as a ehiem skimmer but has some other nice features such as shrimp guard (tho they still get in there) and the ability to clean the sponge without removing the whole unit

Have decided to end this scape, the carpet started to lift and I think its time for a change. Going for a slow growing buce / anubias scape attached to driftwood / lava stone. I want to re-use the substrate, not that much will be planted in the soil, new scape will hopefully be dark and moody and low maintenance.

Thanks too all who read along with this journal.

Have decided to end this scape, the carpet started to lift and I think its time for a change. Going for a slow growing buce / anubias scape attached to driftwood / lava stone. I want to re-use the substrate, not that much will be planted in the soil, new scape will hopefully be dark and moody and low maintenance.

Thanks too all who read along with this journal.
What are you gonna do with the plants you have in there? I'd love to get some of that Hydrocotyle... ;)

You made me buy it... :lol:

Goodluck! Hydrocotyle Tripartita is probably one plant i will never use again, it goes wild and I am not one to keep on top of trimming... its basically the reason my mc carpet lifted, grew the length of the tank and when i tried to removed it I also up rooted the MC.

Back