• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thin long white side-shoots from stem plants

zed

Apologies for the basic question, but I'm relatively new to stem plants; Why do some stem plants (in my case Ludwigia Repens and Alternanthera Reineckii) develop long thin white side shoots on the main stem from just below the main side shoots/branches?

Should these be cut off close to the main stem, or should they be left?

If left, what will happen to these shoots over time?

Thanks!

Sam, thanks for the info!

How come I don't see these roots/side-shoots on pics of peoples tanks on the forum?

A couple of days after planting they started emerging from each node . How come they only start appearing once they are in my tank, and not before this?

Thanks.

Sorry, this is not an accurate statement. All stem plants will send out "aerial roots" and their appearance has nothing to do with their nutritional status. If anything, higher nutritional levels will generate higher root output.

Aerial roots are simply a fact of life with stem plants so you need to get over it. They are annoying and relentless, so one must take great pains to continually trim them. Since they are unattractive, most remove them prior to taking the photograph. That's why well groomed photos seldom show the roots.
2515119810038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks for the reassurance that my stems are normal. I'm dosing using EI methodology and dosing more than the recommended amounts. I guess I can't overdose as the principles of EI are based on providing more nutrients than are required to ensure there is no deficiency.

I need to get myself some good aquascaping scissors and get those roots off.

Thanks again!

Hi,
You'll probably find it just as easy to use your thumb+forefinger to pinch the root off as close to the stem as possible... 8)

Cheers,

The UKAPS tool-kit isn't ready yet, so looks like the finger and thumb method is my only option anyway. I'll give it a go this weekend ;)

Thanks!

Back