• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Manufacturer of custom canopies?

PBM3000

Anyone know of a manufacturer of canopies for tanks? Since fitting the Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 for my Roma, the light spill is pretty aggravating as it illuminates the entire room and distracts from the tank. I'm using clear, walled polycarbonate sheeting - which isn't helping.

It'd need to house/incorporate the LED strip somehow.

Or am I going to have to DIY it? Any advice welcome.

4285.jpg

I don’t have an answer I’m afraid but I do have a Roma 240 with a 59w and 46w fresh and plant 2.0, both sit under the existing canopy. In fact the only modification I had to do was remove one of the feet from the 59w to squeeze it in. Otherwise they both sit within the inner lip and the lids close perfectly.

If you have the old canopy with the tube fittings rather than the LED, you can order the entire canopy from Hagen (parent company of Fluval).

Last edited:
A guess... :) Find an custom aquarium builder, asking an LFS will surely point you in a correct direction. Aquarium builders usualy also build hoods... Or find the nearest aquarium club, these clubs certainly have a list of builders if not members with this quality.

Another option could be measure your tanks dimensions and search for brands which possibly have prefabricated sets in the same dimension as yours and likely have the hood/canopy for sale as spare part.. :)

I don’t have an answer I’m afraid but I do have a Roma 240 with a 59w and 46w fresh and plant 2.0, both sit under the existing canopy. In fact the only modification I had to do was remove one of the feet from the 59w to squeeze it in. Otherwise they both sit within the inner lip and the lids close perfectly.

If you have the old canopy with the tube fittings rather than the LED, you can order the entire canopy from Hagen (parent company of Fluval).
A great suggestion but I only have the one LED which needs to be central. Unless I've misunderstood? Do you have pics?

A guess... :) Find an custom aquarium builder, asking an LFS will surely point you in a correct direction. Aquarium builders usualy also build hoods... Or find the nearest aquarium club, these clubs certainly have a list of builders if not members with this quality.

Another option could be measure your tanks dimensions and search for brands which possibly have prefabricated sets in the same dimension as yours and likely have the hood/canopy for sale as spare part.. :)
I might contact my local club and ask, thanks.

A great suggestion but I only have the one LED which needs to be central. Unless I've misunderstood? Do you have pics?

That’s fine it will work... they’re designed for it. The metal middle section is the same height. When I’m maintaining the tank, I push these under and the fit just fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 247
I appreciate the swift response (and pics) but how is the central part constructed? Would I have to drill to fit the single F&P LED strip?

No, the central lid is metal and it’s only purpose is to stop the plastic lids falling into the water. Otherwise the light sits under this. If you look inside your tank, there is an inner lip (this is where the Roma cable tidies clip too. The feet of the fresh and plant LEF fit in here. If you look at the photos you’ll see that they sit neatly inside the tank, below the canopy. No DIY/tools/ant really effort needed.

You can take the lid of the aquarium can't you so you are just left with the glass?
Unsure what colour the base is or other furniture in your house but you could always make or get on made from wood; whether that's ply or a hardwood then paint or varnish it to match.
If you were wanting a custom one made from metal I would imagine it would be quite costly by the time it's powder coated.

You can take the lid of the aquarium can't you so you are just left with the glass?
I believe you can but I understand it's not without risk.

Unsure what colour the base is or other furniture in your house but you could always make or get on made from wood; whether that's ply or a hardwood then paint or varnish it to match.
If you were wanting a custom one made from metal I would imagine it would be quite costly by the time it's powder coated.
I'd sooner have one made of black ABS/plastic. :thumbup:

Back