• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 diffuser disks clogging

Lgtuk

Hi I have a diy co2 setup with a glass style diffuser and disk.

Is it normal for the disk to clog up every other month and need replacing? I keep having to buy new diffusers (not very expensive I know) but every time my diffuser is on its way out green hair algae starts growing.

Have you tried cleaning the disk by soaking in strong bleach or hydrogen peroxide for 24hours ?

Hi,

If by DIY co2 you mean a yeast setup then it is expected for the disc to clog up more often compared to a cylinder.

I have the same problem with yeast CO2 in my nano, going to get a spare diffuser to swap one each week and let the other soak - I wondered if the by product feeds the shrimp/fish at all?

Not necessarily...well not if it's cleaned weekly.
I have two diffusers, which I alternate every week as part of tank maintenance.
To clean, just pour a small amount of neat bleach on the disc, enough to cover it and leave for a few hours then clean off under the tap with a nail brush or tooth brush.

Thanks for the replies.

So this is totally normal then.

Alternating them makes sense I will try that.

I had same problem with an Aquatic Nature diffuser. Not only it becomes dirty but there was a green thin layer on its surface that looks like algae. I put it in vinegar for a few hours. It was much clean after but the green layer was there. You will not believe from where I've got help : Physa!

Please find bellow what they have done in a couple of days. In the right side still can be seen a remains of the green stuff. The diffuser works perfect now.
(Please note, this is not an advice to get Physa in your tank ;) ).

IMG_4465155dc.jpg

Back