• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

Looks great Tim & just for your future reference, you might want to try out some bathroom mirror demister if you ever do another dry start.
Two coats last around four or five days of clear viewing... I am not sure how safe any left over residue might be towards livestock but I have never had any problems.

One of the buces has flowered...although I can't really claim all the credit, it had an emerging flower spike when I got it, but at least it didn't rot and fall off before it flowered; I must be doing something right...

38067159266_ebb20bf7d1_b.jpg

37412064014_d7f12df637_b.jpg

Amazing! :clap: Never seen a Buce flower as big like that. I got 2 different sp. it regularly flowers but it always dies before it fully opens. I must be doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

I think it's fungus, I guess it liked the moist conditions during the dry start, and since I flooded it's grow even more. Now you mention it there are other patches as well.
I've also had patches of BGA on the rocks and wood which I've treated with LC, brushed off and syphoned out. It also tried to take hold on the new stems so I've had to trim a few already.
I'm sure it'll get worse before it gets better; new tank teething problems an' all :meh:

in nature they don't flower underwater
What makes you think so?..

I find flowering plants in general covered with a mysterious veil, especialy the tropicals. I mean to find out what triggers the flowering.
For some sp. they say it's light hours,, but if you look at the graph from the region where for example the Buce grows it must be a matter of minutes? That region receives about 12 hours year long. I guess this plant maybe only grows under water in the wet seasons from october till march. And some other tropical sp. don't mind light hours and just flower all year long if light intensity is enough. Others don't flower at all if light intensity is not enough no matter the hours. So it also relates to species and or origine. Very difficult to figure that out without creating a complete fllowering lab setup per plant and do testings.

My 2 Buce sp. also develop flowers one is planted near the surface and flowers emersed, one is at substrate level and also develops flowers, even in low tech conditions. So for submersed condition it's not co2 related.

I'm sure it'll get worse before it gets better; new tank teething problems an' all
Indeed didn't think of that, my last teething tank was 2 years ago. :)

What makes you think so?.
1) Their pollinators dont swim:cool:
2) In nature they grow on the waters edge, they will get underwater during rainy season, so they can survive that, but they will flower in the dry season when they are above water.

1) Their pollinators dont swim:cool:
Obviously the plant doesn't know that, Tim's buce proof it, it obviously is still trying..

2) In nature they grow on the waters edge, they will get underwater during rainy season, so they can survive that, but they will flower in the dry season when they are above water.
Yup i assume the same.. But a what if? A piece of rhizome brakes off falls into the water and hooks somewhere at a place that never surfaces. Will it die, will it grow on but never flower? Can we know this from a what if buce in the wild? :)

So...the plants arrived and now it's time to bite the bullet and flood....
I've chosen 3 Rotalas - Rotala sp. Vietnam, Rotala colorata, and Rotala walichii for the background.
I've also lodged a selection of Buces in between the branches of the stump, not to sure what they are, but some are Brownies.
Once flooded I gave the scape a massive trim and gave it its first water change.

38013351796_a0545a6a99_b.jpg

26290438769_9425fabf65_b.jpg

24214132868_37fba8e7b2_b.jpg

26290439849_fd6839e419_b.jpg

Very generous plant quantities. May I ask where you got them from?

Back