• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

“Satori” - iwagumi 60x30x24 - UG

Hi steveno..

Things seem to coming back on track after some damage..

Seeing some emersed growth and roots forming-

1720_B39_F_396_B_4111_8892_7_B21194_CBBDD.jpg

CA98_E56_A_3_E5_D_46_FD_889_E_DC0503_B192_F2.jpg

6_E389015_4_DC6_4172_8_E51_D1_B3952_AF540.jpg

C7_FC6848_389_D_4_F89_8_F03_25_A96_A6_AC9_A4.jpg

6_EB0660_B_1598_4_E62_8_AA5_50985_DB9_BC32.jpg

C4_D55321_3719_4_AF5_B29_F_993_B5_A704418.jpg

Well done getting back on track... Looking good, can I ask what did to resolve.

Thanks Steveno.. i did the following -

1) Remove affected plants and visible mold asap

2) Increased air time, cover is off now twice for 30-35 mins

3) Spraying with water mixed with Hyderogen Peroxide instead of plain water

Will keep updates coming, i dont think i am out of danger territory yet..!

Hello aquanick,

Was wondering how your scape was coming along? I assure your slight doing an Dsm, hope it coming along nicely...

I have recently set up my own scape 'a new start', where I am also doing Dsm using UG, fingers crossed mine progressing with out an issues. :nailbiting:

Anyway, Utricularia G. is actualy an Affixed Aquatic and it loves to be almost under water.. More like very short under the surface, so it still gets some co2 and can shoot up a flower stalk. If you concider how and on what utricularia feeds than it all makes sense why it needs to be at least with it's feed in water and maybe its leaves emmersed or very close under the surface.. The general average dry start concept in our hobby is not realy the best way for thsi plant.
utrani1.gif

It's better to put utricularia in a puddle of water.. :) For now it actualy is much to dry in there, there wont be much aquatic micro-organisme for this little plant to feed on, it also will not realy trigger the palnt to grow utricles as shown in the piic and video. Next best thing, like this you solved also your Fungus (mildew) problem, this doesn't grow aqautic.

Hello zozo,

I've have actualy read that Ug should be kept slightly submerged in inert substrate, which would work in flat scape but not sure how we go about go planting in heavily slope conditions which is so popular in our hobby. I have seen many successful Ug Dsm with lots of slope, wondering how they go about this.:bookworm:

Hello zozo,

I've have actualy read that Ug should be kept slightly submerged in inert substrate, which would work in flat scape but not sure how we go about go planting in heavily slope conditions which is so popular in our hobby. I have seen many successful Ug Dsm with lots of slope, wondering how they go about this.:bookworm:

I've seen as more fails than successes with UG in such simmular diorama's. There is a huge luck factor and the most ive seen were only temporary short lived scapes. UG is a carnivour, to grow good and healthy it depends on a sufficient load of micro-organisme.. In nature you likely find it in forrest swamps an dbogs where a lot of leaf litter drops in and the decomposition of this propagates micro-organisme on which again the utricularia feeds. The Botanical Institute of Trebon (chez republic) is specialized in (affixed) aquatic utricularias etc. Even sell them occasionaly. They advice to use dried sedge in the water for best propagation results.

Taking this in consideration you are actualy not realy helping this plant to feel comfortable, feed and grow. An anybody else doing it like this also isn't. Sucesfull or not it isn't the best way.

Just saying. You might have better and quicker results with treating the plant whit what it likes most..

Good luck, i would love to see you succeed, scape looks nice. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Looking back at your pictures, you just could fill the tank to 1 cm higher than the front substrate, also use some leaflitter to get the micro-organisme going. If the front carpet cikck in and starts propagating, slowly rais the water level to the next bunch till it is about cm submersed, wait again and continue this till all is healthy growing and till you are at the top.

I've been growing it for a while, started at the surface semi emersed, till i saw the utricles develop (Little white balls on it's roots) than i planted it deeper into the substrate.
Still iit's a picky and difficult plant.. I my case all died after about 6 months and i never found out why.. Maybe i had a decline of micro-organisme in the tank, i didn't use any leaflitter back then. :)

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/starting-point-the-rock.39181/#post-425666
Unfortunately he failed before it got floaded. :( And if somebody has Greenfingers it is Roy, but this little plant toke also him for a ride.. Also unfortunately, we didn't see him around for quite some time..

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack aquanicks journal, but will for time being keep going with the DSM as the my UG was planted last friday and still look very healthy but will consider rising water level as suggested mixed with some crushed Mulberry Leaves if i start to see any deterioration, i found packet in my aquascape box, left over when i tried my hand at a shrimp tank a number of a years ago.

Thanks zozo, steveno for your comments..

Very hectic with work and mold was destroying my UG. The conditions here in Singapore are too humid and mol propgates very easily.

I flooded a week back, about 50% ug melted on me, some survived.. will post pics soon.. i am out on a vacation now.. :D

Hello Aquanick, sorry to heard the issue with mold got worst:(...

Like daveslaney has suggested I also read that Ug likes good flow, but to much flow will will uproot Ug easily, its a fine balance.

My own scape has had a bit of slight set back, as having to deal with some of my Ug melting, and some minor alga issue so now considering what Zozo suggested.

This is definitely one tough plant to get on top of...:bookworm:

Look forward to seeing how you scape looks now that it flooded.;)

Guys sorry for keeping this thread dead.. i am back.. lots of travel so tank went for a toss.. here are the recent pics

C04_CC08_A_A6_A2_45_FB_972_B_EF864_D7_B6444.jpg

Almost all UG melted away, few strands alive and kicking..

Will get this into shape soon..! ;)

Back