• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

I think it's quite common for buces to flower underwater...just like anubias; I know that all of Tom Barr's do, for instance.
I also think there is evidence that at least some plants that flower underwater are pollinated by aquatic inverts.

Photo's by Jungle Mikey of Buce's in the natural. He has thousands of these
bucepA18-swk27022015.jpg
bucepA19-swk27022015.jpg

one more link:https://www.aroid.org/gallery/wong/...ology doi10.1111plb.12320] Low et al 2015.pdf
(Fruitfly family)

Last edited:
Not realy a natural situation

I would like to see some sientific literature on that, i don't believe it happens

Here's one from a quick Google. It concerns the male flowers of the tropical marine angiosperm Thalassia testudinum. It's very recent research and perhaps suggests it occurs more frequently than thought. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5056424/

And here is a more accessible article based on the research http://www.indefenseofplants.com/blog/2016/10/31/underwater-pollinators

Nice, glad to see this wet! Most of my buce plants flower under water, a few species dont seem to flower that much but the wavy varieties similar to what you have flower all the time, the flower never really fully opens, I even find shrimp eating at the flower every now and then, my next tank is going to be all buce and anubias!

I've just noticed the tank is teaming with ostracods ...literally a population explosion (no fish yet). At first I thought it was detritus being blown around the tank in the current, but detritus can't swim... :rolleyes:

Also I've got a few tufts of what looks like Fissidens growing on the DW...not particularly exciting news, except I didn't put it there o_O

The only explanation I can think of is, it's from Windswept Eternity my previous scape. https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/windswept-eternity.37490/page-19 but it's been several months since it was torn down, and the DW was long since dried and stored in the garage.

I've read stories about the amazing regenerative powers of moss, in particular, tolerance to environmental desiccation...but I find it hard to believe; I must have it wrong somehow :confused:

Finally, the scape is proving high maintenance already I had to give it another trim :meh: the carpet had grown to around 3cm thick in the short time since flooding and it's first trim. I guess that's the advantage of the DSM and an established root system :cool:

38451985672_a491306bea_b.jpg

24611759498_22a2cb3d9d_b.jpg

38452400312_a9813963e6_b.jpg

I've heard that before about Fissidens.
That's bizarre and amazing, and I gave the DW a good scrub as well...not that I'm complaining it's springing up in a few places.
Free live fish food too :).
Yep, I don't mind the ostracods at all, neither will my fish when I finally get some ;)
High maintenance o_O,should have kept it dry :rolleyes::lol:.
I did have my doubts about flooding it but so far so good, with the exception of a bit of brown algae.

I have tried with Bucephalandra a few times, both under and above water.
I was not very successful, although I still have a few alive in my terrarium tank but, the underwater ones never really flourished!
However that was a few years ago, I think I need to get a few more....
Good luck but I think you are the man who will succeed.

Thanks Foxfish, I might just stick it in the tank and try to grow it immersed...I guess some varieties are hardier than others, but there are more and more varieties becoming common place now, so the chances of finding ones that will grow well for you are probably increasing and better than they were a couple of years ago.

I stumbled across this species, Hyphessobrycon cf. loweae, in my LFS and bought the last 10 they had, I'm well pleased, they are super little fish and only grow to about 20mm.
Apparently, they are still fairly new to the hobby; I've never seen them for sale before. I'll post my own pic when they've settled in, but for now here's one off the net...

Hyphossobrycon-cf-lowae-01.jpg

Back