• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Critique my hardscape

I think I will be starting a Journal for the rest of the setup's journey.

For those of you who like to know here are the specifications for the setup.

Tank - An old curved front Aqua One Aspire 130L

Hardscape - Redmoor and Dragonstone, Tropica Aquarium Soil with a small amount of Tropica plant Substrate on the bottom.

Filtration - Built in to the rear of the tank, http://aquaone.co.uk/documents/AquaNano-10032015.pdf
I may have to add a powerhead for better flow and minimise flat spots in the scape.
I am also willing to install an external canister if needed, the original powerhead for the filter no longer works so I have DIY'd a small internal filter to replace as the product has now been discontinued.

Lighting - Original standard LED lighting, not sure of specs.
Chihiros A Series Plus 601

CO2 - A rather large 10kg? tank. Debating whether to place the diffuser in the filter just before the powerhead to help disperse or just have in the tank itself. Any opinions on this please feel free to comment.

Ferts - EI dry salts from APF UK. I may set this up with the Jeboa DP2 auto dosing pump I have been holding for another project.

Fauna
- Undecided but most likely lots of shrimps and a large shoal of maybe Celestial Pearl Danios or Boraras brigittae. Something small and full of colour, i'm trying to achieve a larger sense of scale

Plants -

HC Cuba
Utricularia graminifolia
Hydro sp. Japan
Riccia fluitans

Myriophyllum Guyana
Hygrophila 'Araguaia'
Rotala Vietnam
Rotala H'ra
Rotala nanjenshan
Rotala Macrandra

Marsilea hirsute
Staurogyne Porto Velho
Staurogyne Repens cuttings
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Cryptocoryne walkerii ?

Ludwigia mini super red
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Bucephalandra 'Deep Purple'
Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green'
Bucephalandra Maya
Anubias nana 'Paxing'
Anubias Bolang
Anubias nana petite
Anubias unknown?

Xmas moss
Java "
Spiky "
Taiwan "
Cameroon "
Fissidens fontanus
And more...

Started planting. I am taking better photos on a camera which I will post at a later date but for now...
0c45e0d3780195c4cd9c5020fc992e9c.jpg

fd8324e5130984c577133a004d648746.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Matt

I often say the poster is the only person who can actually see what it looks like. It was not what I was referring to but what you have done is very good the opening from front to back has a shape now which I was aiming at.

Keith:wave::wave:

Hi
It looks interesting project subscribed.
I think it will be a shame to put the diffuser in the tank when have so much space in back sump for hardware. U should defo try it under the pump in sump first and take it from there if it is not cutting it (which I very much doubt )
Regards Konsa

Hi
It looks interesting project subscribed.
I think it will be a shame to put the diffuser in the tank when have so much space in back sump for hardware. U should defo try it under the pump in sump first and take it from there if it is not cutting it (which I very much doubt )
Regards Konsa

Thanks Konsa,

I will try it in the sump to start with and see how it gets dispersed around the tank with a drop checker and keep a close eye on this.

I had to stop planting last night and have left the rest for this evening, I have sealed the tank up with the glass lid and cling film and kept the light on today,
I am worried my plants would have melted when I return from work today, however they did survive overnight well and to be honest they are all tissue culture plants and should cope in emersed conditions briefly right?

Thanks Matt

So planting continues this evening. Here's progress so far. All that's left are background plants, anubias' and mosses. Still waiting for some buces to be delivered but will have to add them at a later date.

GoPro picture for a change. Sorry for the quality, the glare and misting on the glass is not ideal but will update as I progress.
5071f42635da0ed5581030199e584f85.jpg

Thanks Rebel!
Thanks Keith, I won't be doing a dry start though. Unfortunately time ran away from me and I had to postpone flooding the tank till today, that's why I had sealed the tank up. But should be completed tonight, will update later with pictures. Just off out to get some H.Pinnatifida. waiting on some more Buces and H.Pinna to come in the post so will plant these on 1st water change.

So after 2 days of planting and worry I have now filled the tank. Just a warning to anyone using large prices of wood, I have been soaking this for months but it is still buoyant as I noticed between filling buckets. I have lost a small area at the back from this but my attempts to replant just disturb the substrate and pull up more plants. I'm just gna wait now. Get the co2,filter and light units in place and be patient. Here we go, sorry for the bad pictures.
f259d4b94dcfc540029d9ebdeb4cb454.jpg

Here is the bad bit at the back.
9a037b520c33e3fffed57fbb366d6e9c.jpg

I am having a lot of plants get uprooted after I have flooded the tank. I did try and replant but ended up making it worse. Has anyone any suggestions or experiences that could help me with this situation?
Thanks
Matt

This is my first proper planted setup and I just hope my planting technique was up to scratch. No pain no gain I guess

Hello!!!

In add to the planting of the list area in the back, you should cut the carpeting plant in very little mounts to rooting like a singular/single or unique plant. I thought :D

This setup is SUPERB :pompus:

Hello!!!

In add to the planting of the list area in the back, you should cut the carpeting plant in very little mounts to rooting like a singular/single or unique plant. I thought :D

This setup is SUPERB :pompus:
It took long enough haha
Maybe on my next setup I will be better prepared and give myself enough time to do just that.
I think I will invest in a better pair of planting tweezers that are straight and do not have a bend in them like my current set.

Back