• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P Nature Scape

Went heavy on trimming the stem plants at the back today, they where growing out the top of the tank, also a bunch of spiky moss detached, cant be bothered trying to tie it down again.

The Ember tetras dont like the bright light without the frogbit / stems, hopefully they get use to it, may try clean up the substrate next weekend and put in some fresh sand.

37987757821_5370f21ddb_c.jpg
IMG_0726
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Updated photo, need to clean the filter, its been to long! Everything is going ok! Could do with a general clean up of the glass and pipes.

37693008415_ebd0f6baec_h.jpg
IMG_0746
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

This nature style scape is going well, pretty low maintenance tho the rotala is due for a trim, it has started to carpet on the right hand side and look kind off cool!

27777461169_90f753e445_c.jpg
IMG_1192 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Big clean out today, removed most of the flame moss and a heap of java fern plantlets and some old fern leafs. Got a bit slack with the ferts and the MC and stems had seen better days, lets see if they come back ok.

39103681594_60e82087fe_c.jpg
IMG_1211
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

This tank has been moved outdoors, probably soon to be broken down or rescaped, I am thinking of trying to removed the majority of the soil and stem plants which have crept around the front right. I also want to use some of the plants in my new project (5ft bookshelf tank)

Here is the tank in my outdoor rack along with my 45p tank which I moved outdoors last week, the bottom tank has been outdoors on my balcony for some time now, its way over grown with various java fern.

All the tanks get full morning sun so I am not running the lights at night, only when I want to view them or do some maintenance at night.

IMG_1382.jpg

Last edited:
A a photo from this tanks new location out on my balcony, so far so good, I should do something about that rotala green that is taking over, probably rip it all out and try suck out all the aquasoil and add gravel.

I moved the otos to my blackwater tank, but hope the embers will be ok outdoors, I will probably add a heater when it gets cooler.

40879274002_252878a326_c.jpg
IMG_1389
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

It would be nice to see a photo of your rack under the morning sun :) must be nice

yah it looks great, the colour of the fish really pop, only problem is its almost impossible to get a nice photo with all the reflections, I will see If I can get a half decent photo on the weekend of the full rack in morning sun.

Gave this tank a major over-hall, cleaned everything out, added new sand and removed 50% of the plants, anything that may need regular trimming has been removed, all slow growers now, planted crypt parva and some other random plants I had floating in another tank around the base of the driftwood which I angled a bit differently from last time and sits a bit lower as I removed all the rocks etc.

The sand area looks a bit empty, if the crypts creep and fill out a bit I will be happy

The tank at the moment is home to 6 or so Guppy's started with 8 but two have jumped, managed to save a 3rd jumper but at this rate they will all jump soon enough, I guess Guppy's are not suited to an open top tank.

41654721752_fe8f0bede6_z.jpg
IMG_1856
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks fresh! I hope your parva will creep, because i never had a lot of luck with it

It probably wont, I have some crypt parva in another tank and its not dying but not spreading either, I may plant some Helanthium tenellum "Micro" around the same area, probably take over the crypts but thats ok.

Gave this tank a major over-hall, cleaned everything out, added new sand and removed 50% of the plants, anything that may need regular trimming has been removed, all slow growers now, planted crypt parva and some other random plants I had floating in another tank around the base of the driftwood which I angled a bit differently from last time and sits a bit lower as I removed all the rocks etc.

The sand area looks a bit empty, if the crypts creep and fill out a bit I will be happy

The tank at the moment is home to 6 or so Guppy's started with 8 but two have jumped, managed to save a 3rd jumper but at this rate they will all jump soon enough, I guess Guppy's are not suited to an open top tank.

41654721752_fe8f0bede6_z.jpg
IMG_1856
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Wow, what a change. I still love it though

Wow, what a change. I still love it though

Cheers, I have found most tanks have a "used by date" where they need a major clean out, about a year or so, mainly when using aquasoil as it breaks down and just makes thinks dusty and brown, so now I avoid using aquasoil!

about a year or so, mainly when using aquasoil as it breaks down and just makes thinks dusty and brown, so now I avoid using aquasoil!

Tropica?
I had set up a Spec 19 - first generation (so lower light than newer version but significant ambient) that ran for a year with minimal water changes - tank always looked crystal clear
No CO2 enrichment ;) few fish, shrimp, snails, occasional Tropica Premium & Specialized, dense plant growth
so not much substrate visible after first few months

Jumping Guppies :wideyed:

now that's one fish I've never seen leaping about & completely unexpected o_O
Sorry for the losses :sorry:

Tropica?
I had set up a Spec 19 - first generation (so lower light than newer version but significant ambient) that ran for a year with minimal water changes - tank always looked crystal clear
No CO2 enrichment ;) few fish, shrimp, snails, occasional Tropica Premium & Specialized, dense plant growth
so not much substrate visible after first few months

No ADA soil, dont get tropica over here in Australia, dont get me wrong the water was still clear but the soil tuns to mush / powered and is a pain when moving stuff, decided just to remove as I didnt want anything planted into the soil really (crypts should do ok in sand)

Jumping Guppies :wideyed:

now that's one fish I've never seen leaping about & completely unexpected o_O
Sorry for the losses :sorry:

Really? I have had 3 jump, two in the original tank and 1 when i moved them into this tank (which i saved) I googled and apparently its common for Guppys to jump, to be honest I would rather other fish but my GF picked these ones.

This tanks is doing ok since the rescape, tho is now growing a heap of GSA, probably due to the lower plant mass and due to the reset / full tank clean out things are probably not balanced, still it comes of the glass easily enough. The winter sun hits the outdoor tanks at a different angle which is probably causing some of the algae, tuffs of BBA around also, but not to bad.

42184366662_2869d7f186_z.jpg
IMG_1992 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Back