• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

I stumbled across this species, Hyphessobrycon cf. loweae, in my LFS and bought the last 10 they had, I'm well pleased, they are super little fish and only grow to about 20mm.
Apparently, they are still fairly new to the hobby; I've never seen them for sale before. I'll post my own pic when they've settled in, but for now here's one off the net...

upload_2017-11-23_19-52-37-png.4035
What are they tim? Pictures is broken

According to them it gets about twice as big(small) as your source.?

Just a quick update. I got a bit fed up with the bald spots in the lawn and infilled them with more plants.
I've also added a couple of red stems left of centre foreground for a bit of contrast. And the WK was looking a bit sorry for itself so I've had a bit of a rehash in another glass bowl.
I'm also trying to tempt my new Otos with a bit of broccoli stem, I've never been able to get my Otos to feed on anything except algae...

38589317672_30437afd40_b.jpg

38622040681_53a5e877ce_b.jpg

i see you dont have a slope on your substrate like most tanks going from low at the front to a lot higher at the back! is there a reason for this?

Yes there are a three really.
For one, it worked better aesthetically to highlight the hieght and depth of the island.
And two, the scape began with the DSM so a level substrate ensured that the moisture was evenly distributed throughout.
Also, the tank is viewed from two angles, essentially I have two fronts, so it worked better that way as well.

It's looking really good. It's my favourite sort of tank - one where you can peer in from different angles and see something different each time.

My Otos eat Hikari mini algae wafers - just got a couple of new ones in quarantine and they come to the front and munch on them too.

It's looking really good. It's my favourite sort of tank - one where you can peer in from different angles and see something different each time.
Thanks tam, I guess shallows do that very well, and thanks for the Oto feeding tip ;)
Thanks also @williak

Back