• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heating

webworm

Looking for ideas on 'out of tank' heating, so either in filter, I believe Oase, and Ehiem have offerings, or in-line, hydor used to be the go to in-line heater, are there any others out there.

**NEW INFO**

In response to replies:

I'm looking at a ~400L tank, 120x60x60cm internal dimensions.

Last edited:
I believe Oase, and Ehiem have offerings
This is my favorite solution.

...hydor used to be the go to in-line heater...
Except if the Inside Diameter of their ports is smaller than the ID of the hoses. If that's the case then these devices will kill your flow. It's of little consequence if the tank is non-CO2 injected, but a major headache if gas is being used.

As foxfish mentions, if the tank is small then the heating mat works fine and if the tank is large, with a sump then it's easy to place a heater in the sump.
You haven't really given any specifics, so it's difficult to steer you in the right direction.

Cheers,

You haven't really given any specifics, so it's difficult to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for the response, I've update the first post with tank size. I'm thinking about a sump, or possibly canister filters with direct plumbing in the back wall as I'd like to keep the rim of the aquarium as 'clean' as possible.

Obviously with a sump come some down sides, mainly off gassing of CO2 from what I can tell.

Never the less, sumps are used very successfully & do hide equipment.
Sumps have other benefits such at maintaining a constant water level in the display & offer the opportunity of auto top up.
By diffusing the C02 directly in front of the return pump you will also have an efficient method of distributing the gas.
However a sump is not a cheap option.
PS how did you edit your opening post?

I agree, a sump is looking odd on favourite.I'm going to have the base of the aquarium drilled which means I've got multiple options in the future.
Cost is a factor, but not a deciding one, but if you consider on a ~500L aquarium you're probably looking at 2 large canister filters, then a sump isn't actually much more money. As for editing the original post, I simply hit the edit link.

Hi, :)
You can make a sump as expensive and cheap as you want. In general what i see around and i don't know why that is but most sumps are made completely overcomplicated. And that's what makes them expensive. :)

Just think of it and make a comparison with a canister. Lets say you have a 200 litre tank and filtering with a cannister, than you suffice with a 5 litre volume cannister? Make it a 10 litre canister? This would be 30% mechanical filter media and the rest biological, if you take off 10% free space leaves you for the most with 6 litres of biological media? If you go for a 10 litre canister.

If this is sufficient, why would a sump need so much more than 6 litres of biological media? To make it even more sufficient? Enough is enough, is more than enough beter or just a waste?

So than we go back to the sump. :) If you take a 25 litre tank than you will have more than enough room to put 10 litres of media in it and still have 15 litres left. Even more simple if you make 10 litre drip tray in it you ca have 50% of the biological media emersed and the rest submersed to have the best of both filter principles. a 25 litre standard tank takes 40cmx25cmx25cm of space.. If you take a Eurobraced version, you can easyly put a plastic box on top as drip tray, leaves with the entire tank as extra water body for all other material.

I made a sump from a 25 litre eurobraced tank for my 100 litre aquarium, this sump could easily run double the size if not more.. The tank was brandnew less than €20 all i needed more was a pump.. Funny is the most powerfull pump i found was a 800l/h DC 12V-24V with a 5 meter lift performing the best.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V...338627?hash=item2cc36e2d03:g:jCIAAOSw5vBZdpfr
Already running for over 2 years now without any issues.

So that's less than € 30 for the tank and the pump. €15 more for 0.5m² acrylic sheet fot the deviders of which i only used half. Than even if you go for a expensive USA ready made $80 overflow box, you still didn't reach far over a €120.. Neglect the media and the heaters etc. These you have to buy anyway.

You simply only need 1 media compartiment to create a sufficient sump.. Since a sufficient canister has the same.. And it's sufficient, why would a sump need more?

It doesn't.. Find a + 5 litre cannister bellow €120..

An Eheim suitable for a 200litre tank with a 5 litre cannister volume goes for € 350. Bless you if you want 2.

Back