• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

250 liters* substrate advice

Either size will work fine for the H cuba.
Yes lime free means it won't increase /decrease hardness or pH.
Would place the cory's in the tank only after plant root's have established a good hold (weeks), lest cory's uproot the newly planted plants while foraging/sifting through the substrate for foods.
The fine gravel will hold plants, and allow bit's of organic matter/waste,food bit's, to eventually find it's way to the lower regions and as it dissolves,will be processed by plant's..
This is an advantage in my view over sand cap's, where afore mentioned matter would remain on the surface of the sand.
More important for corys is good O2 levels, moderate movement of the water,and not too warm temps.IMHO

Either size will work fine for the H cuba.
Yes lime free means it won't increase /decrease hardness or pH.
Would place the cory's in the tank only after plant root's have established a good hold (weeks), lest cory's uproot the newly planted plants while foraging/sifting through the substrate for foods.
The fine gravel will hold plants, and allow bit's of organic matter/waste,food bit's, to eventually find it's way to the lower regions and as it dissolves,will be processed by plant's..
This is an advantage in my view over sand cap's, where afore mentioned matter would remain on the surface of the sand.
More important for corys is good O2 levels, moderate movement of the water,and not too warm temps.IMHO

Thank you very much. If cuba is ok with 1-3mm as you are telling me thats the best option for me because i can find it easily and its way cheaper than dennerles quartz :)

It is here and waiting ! (sorry for the cake in picture lol)..
Now i am looking to buy a fine gravel and probably with 1-2mm size.

I want some feedback about the Dennerle quartz gravel. Its pretty expensive and i want to find out if its indeed that good.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
Edited.

I found this below ... It is like the answer goes to me.

''Did anyone ever check out the Aquael Leddy Tube 8000K? It looks interesting and I'm considering the 16W, but I can't find any information about PAR.

I need some more light for my 250l tank to supplement the 2xHagen Glo 39W, but I can't decide wether to buy another one or put in LED.

Wow! You must want really high light! A two bulb Hagen Glo light should be enough to grow most any plants. That size tank, with two 39 watt T5HO bulbs is sold as a reef tank, and reef tanks use a lot more light than planted tanks.

Hoppy

Hello my friends,

As i haven't found the gravel i want yet i am thinking about few combos and i want your opinion before i do anything wrong.

I have the tropica substrate and i can finally order a lime free gravel 1-2mm and cap it at setup.
Or..
I can cap tropica substrate with aqua soil. I dont remember where but i saw that somewhere. What is your opinion about capping substrate with soil?

Thank you!

capping tropica substrate with tropica soil or soil powder is a good idea if you are fully planting - ie a carpet and stems

How difficult could it be to replicate tropica's products at home with a shovel, a bucket, a garden hose, and some manure/compost/topsoil/etc? ? Seriously why pay these companies a dime? They should pay us. How do you get sponsored without selling your soul?? Whatever

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

How difficult could it be to replicate tropica's products at home with a shovel, a bucket, a garden hose, and some manure/compost/topsoil/etc? ? Seriously why pay these companies a dime? They should pay us. How do you get sponsored without selling your soul?? Whatever
It's not difficult... just takes loads of time and space. You can also bake bread and make meals at home, don't you buy already baked bread and go to restaurants once in a while instead?

Hahahah... I prefer to spend and be sure about the result..

Finally..i dont have a clear answer if its ok to cap tropica substrate with tropica soil...Any gain? Any issues?

What else are ppl doing all day? I don't get it. I make at least 2 meals a day at home and it keeps me busy ALL DAY. Why outsource the labor of food preparation to someone who doesn't have as much motivation to do as good a job as I would. The majority of the labor force is incompetent plain and simple. I prefer to employ the old-world artisans that are sadly fewer and farther between in the digital age. Sad. Now I'm the craftsman. Now I'm grandma cooking for her family... but what else am I doing? What better way to spend my time? How could one be too busy for a hobby? That's the point. Something to do with our spare time. Why not do it the way our ancestors did it? They didn't have a chemical industry to rely on. They also didn't waste anything. Plants eat waste, why waste it is all I'm saying?

Finally..i dont have a clear answer if its ok to cap tropica substrate with tropica soil...Any gain? Any issues?
This is a text from Aquarium Gardens "For an all-in-one bottom layer we recommend Tropica Aquarium Soil or Dennerle Scaper's Soil. These are complete bottom layers and do not require capping with gravel.
Tropica Plant Growth Substrate is designed for laying under your chosen gravel/substrate. The choice of which to use is simply down to personal preference."

What else are ppl doing all day? I don't get it. I make at least 2 meals a day at home and it keeps me busy ALL DAY. Why outsource the labor of food preparation to someone who doesn't have as much motivation to do as good a job as I would. The majority of the labor force is incompetent plain and simple. I prefer to employ the old-world artisans that are sadly fewer and farther between in the digital age. Sad. Now I'm the craftsman. Now I'm grandma cooking for her family... but what else am I doing? What better way to spend my time? How could one be too busy for a hobby? That's the point. Something to do with our spare time. Why not do it the way our ancestors did it? They didn't have a chemical industry to rely on. They also didn't waste anything. Plants eat waste, why waste it is all I'm saying?
I can give you at least a couple reasons why people don't have time to spare...
This debate is a bit off topic here, but how you spend your time, space and money, like choosing a substrate, is simply down to personal preference. My preference when preparing a meal at home is to save some time and get all I need from the supermarket... would I like to grow vegetables and animals as my own food source? Of course! But unfortunately I don't have the money, time, or space to do it myself. In the end, farmers and supermarkets are probably the main reason why I have some time for a hobby! :)

I am thinking of capping the substrate with dennerle quartz gravel.

1-2mm , no strange angles -cory safe. Seems solid choise.

Hi all, We have a <"DIY substrate thread">, but it is from a while ago.

cheers Darrel
I'll do that. Just curious what's everyone's aversion to "old threads"? It seems evertime I post something on one it rubs the admins the wrong way. Think maybe I'm ignorant to some widely accepted etiquette

I'll do that. Just curious what's everyone's aversion to "old threads"? It seems evertime I post something on one it rubs the admins the wrong way. Think maybe I'm ignorant to some widely accepted etiquette
That doesn't tend to happen much around here. I've seen old threads being resurrected without complaints a few times. I believe it happens mostly on other forums when people reply to members who asked for help a long time ago, as it may prevent newer threads to be visible in the main forum page and getting help they need at that moment.

That doesn't tend to happen much around here. I've seen old threads being resurrected without complaints a few times. I believe it happens mostly on other forums when people reply to members who asked for help a long time ago, as it may prevent newer threads to be visible in the main forum page and getting help they need at that moment.
Ahhh... I once was blind but now I see. Cheers

Is there any gain if i use an ada supplement such as bacter 100 on my tropica substrate layer? Is this useless?

Is there any gain if i use an ada supplement such as bacter 100 on my tropica substrate layer?
No.

It's best not to overthink substrates unless you have a specific need or special requirement. If you are worried about bottom diggers, such as cories getting injured, for example, then you would want to just use sand or a soft clay sediment, or even a hard clay that does not have sharp edges. These are strictly mechanical concerns.

From a biological or chemical point of view, if you intend to dose the water column with nutrients, then the plants will not really care too much what quality or what configuration the sediment is. You also don't really have to worry about the effects of the substrate on the water. A lot of people fret over this all the time and it's just wasted energy. Just as wasteful is worrying about needing special supplements such as ludicrously priced brand name substrate additives. If you want to add bacteria to your sediment then go out in the garden and dig up a couple of the biggest weeds you can find. Then scrape the soil from their roots and toss it into your substrate. Then you will have real live bacteria instead of dehydrogenated zombie bacteria.

The plants that you will put in your tank, as well as the plants out in the garden or that you have in your house automatically have bacteria on their roots. It's automatic. You will not be gaining anything by adding boutique salon powders to your tank. Please save your money as much as you can. Use the funds saved to buy more plants...

Have a look at the thread https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/flora-max-v-eco-complete.13801/

Cheers,

No.

It's best not to overthink substrates unless you have a specific need or special requirement. If you are worried about bottom diggers, such as cories getting injured, for example, then you would want to just use sand or a soft clay sediment, or even a hard clay that does not have sharp edges. These are strictly mechanical concerns.

From a biological or chemical point of view, if you intend to dose the water column with nutrients, then the plants will not really care to much what quality or what configuration the sediment is. You also don't really have to worry about the effects of the substrate on the water. A plot of people fret of this all the time and it's just wasted energy. Just as wasteful is worrying about needing special supplements such as ludicrously priced brand name substrate additives. If you want to add bacteria to your sediment then go out in the garden and dig up a couple of the biggest weeds you can find. Then scrape the soil from their roots and toss it into your substrate. Then you will have real live bacteria instead of dehydrogenated zombie bacteria.

The plants that you will put in your tank, as well as the plants out in the garden or that you have in your house automatically have bacteria on their roots. It's automatic. You will not be gaining anything by adding boutique salon powders to your tank. Please save your money as much as you can. Use the funds saved to buy buy more plants...

Have a look at the thread https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/flora-max-v-eco-complete.13801/

Cheers,
Thank you very much! Useful as always..
I am saving money for plants :)

Back