• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Acrylic Tank Build / New update

cheers for the reply Alastair.

Done a bit more research and found the same answer, pvc cement won't work on acrylic.

Seems some people make there own acrylic cement using pure Methyl Ethyl Ketone and some acrylic shavings.
Might give this a try as I only need a small amount.

Not sure I'd take the chance of making my own,the weld on 4 isn't a huge expense at £7+pp.

I do have a fair bit left tho,if your anywhere near colchester your welcome to come and take a bit.

Brilliant Matt,

really well done and thanks for posting. I may well be tempted to try this at some point. :)

Thanks sanj,
they also do polished edged acrylic aswell,think I may try this next time as it will save a lot of time sanding tho it does cost a little more.

Good luck.

Hi,

I was thinking of building a acrylic tank myself but at the moment i'm finding it difficult to find cell-cast acrylic in the uk (from what i've read is what you need instead of using extruded acrylic, correct me if i'm wrong). I had a look at www.acrylic-online.co.uk previously mentioned earlier in the post but cannot see anything labelled as cell-cast. Is it named as something completely different. Is this something you can help us with?

Thankyou

Thankyou they look helpful sites to get custom made dimensions cut. Do you think Cast acrylic is the same as Cell-Cast Acrylic (as most of the DIY tips and info originate from the USA suggest using cell cast). There the predominant product used in USA is Chemcast® GP which they call cell-cast acrylic.

As far as i know the common international trade names are Plexiglas® GS (Cast Acrylic) and Plexiglas® XT (Extruded acrylic) and Perspex® Cell Cast
Plexiglas and Perspex are registered trade names both are the same product acrylic probably with minor propperty differences. Looking at the Perspex site it seems it only is produced as cell cast can't find any references if they also have extruded, so if it bares the name Perspex it possibly is a garanty it's cell casted. Plexiglas® produces both versions GS/XT. The truth about the Perspex is a phonecall/email away.. +44 (0) 1254 874000 E-mail info@perspex.com

Sorry for the late reply, thankyou zozo. Thats really useful, ill contact them first before ordering up the perspex for the aquarium.

Back