• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sins of the Past

Samuel Ferreira

Seedling
Hi everyone,

First off all i like to introduce myself, my name is Samuel Ferreira and i´m from Portugal.
I started this hobbie 20 years ago, but my first planted tank attempt was in 2012.
The existence of UKAPS for me, was first of all by George Farmer and his channel (i´m a huge fan) and by other hand the research on Google about many different topics, and so i decided to start a journal here to learn more with you guys and hope you can help me.
Like i said before it´s my first journal here, so i hope you guys enjoy and help me with this tank.
I leave my setup below:

Started:
14/10/2017

Tank:
Watercube 100 x 50 x 50 by Aquaeden

Light:
2 x FTB Led Light 90 by Aquaeden

In a inicial fase (first week), they are turn on only one of the lights about 6 hours and the distance between them and water is about 9 cm.
Since second week the other light star working to 6 hours.
Whith the second month of live the lights start 8 hours.

Filter and filter mida:
Eheim Professional 3 2080
Équo Stilla
Bio Rio
Filter Wool

Pipes:
1 x Aquagro Outflow 17 mm
2 x Aquagro Inflow 17 mm

CO2:
ADA CO2 Indicator
Do! Aqua CO2 Music Glass 40D
Do! Aqua Co2 Music Counter
Pressure Regulator and Slenoid Valve by Aquaeden

Temperature:
Eheim Jager 150W a 24º C

Hardscape:
Red moor Wood
Seriyu stone

Substrate:
ADA Powersand Special (6 liters)
ADA Amazónia Light (6 x 9 liters)
ADA Plata Sand

Fertilization:
First Week:
ADA Brighty Neutral K (I used neutral because of the hard water) – 10 ml / day
Second and third week:
ADA Brighty Neutral K – 10 ml / Day
ADA Brighty Mineral – 10 ml / Day

Since the Second month i started to use ADA fertilization diy:
Daily targets:
0.44 ppm NO3
3.73 ppm K
0.1 ppm PO4
0.02 ppm Fe

Plants:
Micranthemum "Monte Carlo"
Anubia Barteri var. nana petite
Staurogene repens
Vesicularia Dubyana Christmas
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Riccia fluitans
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Rotala rotundifolia
Hygrophila Polysperma Rosanervig
Microsorum Pteropus Narrow
Hygrophila Pinnatifida

Fish:
Paracheirodon Axelrodi
Ottocinclus
Camarões Amano

Photos:
For now i will leave you with the photos of the hardscape, i hope you enjoy.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Hi guys,

I want to leave you and update to this journal before we say goodbye to this year, and therefore wish everyone a great Year 2018.

Day 1:
Day 1.jpg

Day 8:
Day 8.jpg

Day 11:
Day 11.jpg

Day 19:
Day 19.jpg

Day 24:
Day 24.jpg

1 Month:
1 Month.jpg

At this point i start to make some changes to the layout, some points in this aquarium wasn´t feeling right!!
As for the left side i plant some pinnatifida, bucephalandras, and Trident, now it was time to leave to grow and make everything more compact.
Little by little I want to improve this side, I want to leave maturing and correcting if necessary.
For the lighting began with 8 hours at this point.
The aquarium was with 45 days:

45 Days.jpg

24811039548_86e75b29da_k.jpg

The aquarium now became with 2 months, I began to have the firsts problems with the algae.
It start to appear as said the first algae, more specifically, GDA and the plants also began to regress its growth.
Well, first of all it was time to review the cleaning and maintenance of the filter, it was time to renew the filter wool as this could also be the cause. To my astonishment it was filthy, I never had the filter so dirty !!!!
Everything washed and changed.
Second assignment, I began to review the fertilization because i was just giving Brighty Mineral and Brighty K.
Sharing thoughts, the truth is that indeed the price per bottle of ADA is much cheaper in this new line, but for the schedule i would need to start fertilizing with the full range of the brighty, i mean the Mineral, neutral K, Iron and Nitrogen. By my accounts, we are talking about 80 euros per month of fertilizers, I think for my wallet this is out of the question.
So i decided to go back to the DiY fertilization scheme I used to do. Researching a little i found in the UKAPS the journal of Nuno "Crystal Mountain" (I advise everyone to read) that is an excellent topic and i came across with is ADA fertilization DIY which he tested, and then i began fertilizing in the aquarium a week later. I can say that I still have to adapted the fertilization for my aquarium.
In a week i already notice differences in both growth and algae that appear to be regressing a little.

Present day:
At this point the aquarium is recovering well, the GDA seems to be gradually disappearing and the plants are starting to start as it should be.
I raise the light supports that I made in acrylic, this time is 15 cm from the water column.

IMG_3733.JPG

Present Day:

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

Present.jpg

Happy New Year.

Back