• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Hard Scape Tank - Plant Suggestions

creedjonny22

Seedling
Hi.
In new to this.
I've recently finished the hardscape in my Jewel Rio 180 the substrate is ADA power soil Amazonian. I've added mainly rocks and one bonsai tree as the focal point.

I want to add moss to the bonsai and some sort of carpet like dwarf hair grass to the large open soiled parts. Can anyone suggest some other plants to position around the tank? Or any other advise? Thanks
891f0216ec9e8e18f3cbb81471ddc174.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I always find it difficult to give advice when people add a bonsai tree, I guess you can't go wrong with carpet plants, you could even mix them up to make it look more natural. Mini pellia would also be good to represent bushes.
Same here... Because it limits a lot what you can have maintaining a good sense of scale. The tree needs to be the tallest thing in there, so you're looking mostly for short plants.

And the best thing you can actually do is to empty the water and do a dry start to kick start the carpet plants properly.

Same here... Because it limits a lot what you can have maintaining a good sense of scale. The tree needs to be the tallest thing in there, so you're looking mostly for short plants.

And the best thing you can actually do is to empty the water and do a dry start to kick start the carpet plants properly.
How long should you dry start for would you say? Thanks

I always find it difficult to give advice when people add a bonsai tree, I guess you can't go wrong with carpet plants, you could even mix them up to make it look more natural. Mini pellia would also be good to represent bushes.
Are you saying don't have the bonsia at all?
Take your point a out missing up the carpet plants that sounds good
Thanks

How long should you dry start for would you say? Thanks
It's advised to do it for at least 6 weeks for better results.

Are you saying don't have the bonsia at all?
Take your point a out missing up the carpet plants that sounds good
Thanks
I don't think that's what @Martin in China meant.

It's just that when you use a bonsai/tree in a scape, it is supposed to be the center piece, so you can't usually use bigger/taller plants in the tank, because they will remove the focus from the tree. You won't find too many scapes with a tree that have much more than carpet plants. And I know from experience, because I did one myself and searched a lot for other examples for inspiration... One Tree Hills

Back