• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving fish around

roughyed

I currently have 2 tanks, one is set up and has been running for over a year with fish and a larger tank that I started setting up but work etc got in the way.

Now the current plan is to move the fish from the Small tank (45L) to the bigger one (75L) and have a small shrimp tank and a larger community.

Current - 45L
4 x corydoras pygmaeus
7 x Ember Tetra
5 x Cardinal Tetra
?? x Cherry Shrimp
3 x Amano

75L
4 x Amano
1 x Cherry Shrimp
5 x Tiger Shrimp

My main worry is catching the Corys as there are a few hiding places. Best to leave them behind?

Also how do you go about partly stripping a tank and putting things back in with the shrimp inplace? (I'd rather not squash any).

If you use one large net and either a smaller one or your hands to steer them into the larger net then most fish are pretty easy to catch with a bit of persistence.

I suppose its my old school mentality. Once its set up leave it alone!

I don't disagree with that mentality but you obviously want to change it on some level!!! I have a shoal of 8 cories that I've moved around a fair bit trying to spawn them and they were pretty easy to catch; just watch their fin spines in the net.

On the shrimp and squashing them keep a careful eye on where they are. You'll find they will try and shelter out of the way like any animal would. As long as you're not replacing the substrate they should be fine left in there. If you're really worried then remove them to a bucket, but keep it covered!

Back