• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Most effective fungal treatment?

I see kanaplex sold on amazon but its quite expensive. It depends how much one wants to invest....but by the time you find the right med...you might as well have spent the same, with no results.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/67108810-K...d=1515230129&sr=8-2&keywords=seachem+kanaplex

I treated a batch of harlequins a year ago. They came with columnaris.

From this:

Harlequins 1.jpg

To this:

Harlequins 2.jpg

kanaplex but you can only get that from the US/ebay.

Be carefull with this, because the vendor is obliged and only caries the responsebility to write the contents on the package when it's for export. In this case it will say Content: Kanaplex or Kanamycine.

Antibiotics is a prescription drug, it's illegal to import prescription drugs. If the person clearing the package knows the content, it will be seised, in worst case scenario you can be fined as well. So it's a mater of luck to receive it or not when ordering it from he states. The just send it to you, but mind if you do you're doing something illegal and you are responsible for the import.

The use of antibiotics is strictly regulated since more and more infectious bacteria get resistant. I do not know about UK but i think it's a european regulation. Obviously that might be why you can't find antibiotics in the lfs. And a vet is not allowed to sell you antibiotics from the shelf, only with oficiall valid prescription. I once asked a vet for it and he said he can't sell it to me, i needed to bring them the fish in question they are not allowed to prescribe it without investigation. If they do and get caught they will lose their veterinary certification and permits.

As said you might get luky if you are willing to take the risk. I also was and recieved it ordered from the states. Just prepare you might receive something different instead when the package is checked by someone awaken after the coffee break.. :)

You can't replace the fish. Columnaris is highly contagious if not treated, and chances are your new fish, introduced to the same tank, will also get it early or later. Plus, its not a good way thinking of fish as "replaceable" for the sake of a few quid. Would you just replace your dog or cat like that? All creatures should be given the same chance to live. We spend hundreds on fish tank and equipment.....Why don't we just keep those tanks completely fishless....no issues then.

Don't worry, I was being glib. No mass execution here!

Yeah, I know. Its the frustration speaking...

Fish may survive without treatment. Any sort of treatment just knocks off the majority of the disease trigger, not all. The rest is done by the fish's immune system. Large daily water changes and high quality food and in time things could get better, some may/will survive.

These below are also proven effective:

Treatment and control:

1. Potassium permanganate: 500mg/100l for 1 hour by bath method.

2. Malachite green: 10mg/100l for 30-96 hours by bath method.

3. Oxytetracycline: 50-100mg/kg body weight of fish/day for 10 days.

I think you can find 1 and 2 in the UK legally for aquarium use but I've never used them so not sure how effective. They'd kill the filter bacteria though, unlike seachem kanaplex.

@sciencefiction :) I'm only quoting my vet, telling me he can't sell me antibiotics from the shelf without a proper prescription. He's obliged to look at the animal in question first to make it official. And as you say, i also only could find it in the US and i ordered it and received it, made a laugh and told my vet with a big smile And he smilled back and said, i was very lucky.. Because importing prescription drugs especialy antibiotics is illegal. Even if you travel in person, if the customs find antibiotics or prescription drugs in general in your toiletbag, you need to show thsi prescription if you can't it will be seised.

I sneaked the net and this also seems to be the case for UK.

As far as i know it still didn't change, anybody selling prescription drugs in Europe without a doctors consent is illegal.. Not saying it doesn't happen.. Just saying watch out with the risk of bumbing into a chrumpy law abiding official.

I'm only quoting my vet, telling me he can't sell me antibiotics from the shelf with a propper prescription. He's obliged to look at the animal in question first to make it official.

Seachem Kanaplex is formulated for aquaria, It is 60% potassium and 40% kanamycin sulfate(or the other way round), in powder form, water soluble, fish treatment formula, hardly a prescription drug definition. I did not suggest one requests antibiotic from a vet without proper diagnosis...... Now if you asked me to suggest antibiotics for use in fish farms, that's another game altogether....But for personal use of a few tropical aquarium fish in cold Europe......I think we're making the issue bigger than it is. I did not find any information about kanamycin sulfate being illegal for import. It is illegal perhaps to use in fish farms and on other animals without prescription. Where I live, same applies to humans. I can't buy antibiotic without prescription but if I so much as just cough in a doctor's office, they give me antibiotics without asking..not always the right type as well.... This scenario is different. The vet can't sell you antibiotics without prescription but he can buy/import them himself for potential use on diagnosed animals.

I can say with 100% certainty that you want to use Potassium permanganate. You'll find it in amongst the koi treatments. We use it in the trade to treat this sort of infection. A high concentration bath with an airstone works well.

did not find any information about kanamycin sulfate being illegal for import.

Me neither, i also wouldn't know where to look for it.. I also couldn't find it anywhere for sale in the regular trade in europe. :) But it's an antibiotic in general and with this propperty it gets a prescription duty and are illegal for import without proper certification. There likely will be a specified list somewhere with tradenames/contents involved.

Since i couldn't find it i asked my vet if he had Kanamycin to treat my fish in store.. The answer was yes and why and no i can't because of official restrictions and this and that. He probaly was correct, i don't know. I took his answer for granted.. He has to make a living as well, so if he was allowed to sell me he likely would have done so. But he didn't for the given reasons that's all i know. If he was incorrect than he likely is an idiot with enough money and taking me for a ride. I can't judge nor discuss the issue any further about if we take it to far with this. I don't know.. :)

That's the stuff I use. I dose at a rate of 10ml per 40L with heavy oxygenation via an airstone. Observe the fish for distress. Remove after half an hour. Tends to do the trick the first time around, otherwise give it a day or two and dose again.

Do NOT overdose!

Back