• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape 1 gallon / 3.8 L hardscape help

Makeila

Seedling
Hi everyone! First post here after being a long time lurker.
I have a couple tanks running, and now I'm working on this 1 gallon bucephalandra-only scape. The buces are in shipment, so I thought I'd get some feedback and finalize the hardscape. I'm pretty happy with it, but I was wondering if anybody can see something that I've missed or could further improve on.

The tank is 1 gallon with a DIY pipe lamp
5 pieces of black and red dragonstone
3 small manzanita branches
Will be injecting DIY CO2 and dosing EI liquid ferts

Tall shot reduced.jpg

Close front reduced.jpg

Downwards shot reduced.jpg

I'd also love some DSLR/photography tips if you have any! The first two images have been edited to reflect the light/colors I see in person, but I'd love to be able to have the pictures come out closer to that when first taken.

I don't know how strong the light is, but i would start with some floaters too.
What are the tank dimensions?
Otherwise: looks intriguing:thumbup:

Oh and if possible, could you change that T piece pipe with the bottom connector? Would look better in my opinion;)
Nice DIY btw.

Thanks all! The tank is a 15 cm cube. I myself am not sure of how strong the light is, it's very bright, but I don't know what the PAR would be. I plan to use a dimmer at least in the beginning. I'll float some pearlweed too :)

Some other people have suggested the switching the T, which before I'd been lazy to do because it required rewiring, but I did it just now and it looks better.

Last edited:
Makeila

Over the years I have seen several of the small tanks Aquascapes and yours is looking very good.
My biggest comment would be the white Substrate its extremely glary and is a massive distraction. I would prefer a multi coloured similar to the rocks of a black.

Light I would remove the Joiner and the Tee piece, then bring the power cord in from the back underneath the block.

If you go to a black Substrate I would paint the pipe black as well.

Then you will have a VG Aquascape plus a neat and tidy lighting system.

Keith:wave::wave:

looks very cool, i like the stand and light design, I would be weary of the wood touching the glass, this can make cleaning the inside of the glass tricky if you have the wood touching the glass.

I would swap the two joints in the vertical pipe and turn the 'T' piece round so the cable comes in from the rear, thus hiding the cable.

What filter are you going to use ?

Makeila

Over the years I have seen several of the small tanks Aquascapes and yours is looking very good.
My biggest comment would be the white Substrate its extremely glary and is a massive distraction. I would prefer a multi coloured similar to the rocks of a black.

Light I would remove the Joiner and the Tee piece, then bring the power cord in from the back underneath the block.

If you go to a black Substrate I would paint the pipe black as well.

Then you will have a VG Aquascape plus a neat and tidy lighting system.

Keith:wave::wave:
Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have darker substrate currently available. The sand is actually slightly multicolored and off white in person, I think it's just my noob photography skills that makes it look so glaring. I did change the pieces and point the T back, the cord is less distracting now :D

looks very cool, i like the stand and light design, I would be weary of the wood touching the glass, this can make cleaning the inside of the glass tricky if you have the wood touching the glass.
Very good point, thank you. I will try to get the wood to stand on its own.

With this size i would try to get away with just a full waterchange each day, no filter, no heater , just keep it clean

I would swap the two joints in the vertical pipe and turn the 'T' piece round so the cable comes in from the rear, thus hiding the cable.

What filter are you going to use ?

I have no heater or filter, just a little submersible pump, mostly to get some circulation for the buces and CO2. I might try to hide it in the back right and hope the rock and growing plants will hide it a bit.

This is awesome lol, love tiny tiny tanks
Thank you very much! All my tanks are nanos, but this is my smallest yet. I'd love to have a bigger tank someday though!

I have a folder on my laptop called AquariumInspiration, your set up reminds me of..

DSC01921-1140x642.jpg

Back