• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dwarf neon rainbow fry feeding

Diddymen

I've recently had a go at breeding dwarf neon rainbows, they had been spawning in my main tank but I was lucky if I could rescue the occasional egg before the lot were eaten.

So I set up a breeding tank, started an infusoria culture (still needs a bit longer) conditioned the fish ....and then bought the males and females together.

Anyway, result is, I've got around 40-60 fry :) (some still hatching daily) I've been feeding them liquifry for the last week and a half, and can tell the difference in size between those hatched in the last few days, and those from last week ....but they are still tiny!!

So, question is how old or how big should they be before I start feeding them baby brine shrimp?? ....any other recommended foods?

I would advise joining the rainbowfish UK group on facebook. The current recommendation on that page is:
1) Initial stages feed them three times a day with Golden Pearls
2) After fry 7 days old start up a microworm culture.
3) After 12 days give them their first feeding of microworm. The worms will vary in size so the smaller will be eaten and the big ones left alone. So feed lots, clean loads. Continue to feed both micro worm and the golden pearls during the transition period

Also check Johannes Graf webpage. He has information at the bottom of it http://www.regenbogenfische.com/index en.html

thanks for the info, I've not heard of golden pearls ...I'll have a google.

where can you get micro/banana worms or vinegar eels? .....I've notices quite a few tiny white worms on the glass near the surface of the tank - are these the same things?

Hi all,
micro/banana worms or vinegar eels?
Should be some sellers on ebay.

I keep cultures going even when I don't have any small fish fry, because they are extremely low maintenance. If you don't have any joy PM and I can send some, but it won't be until later in the week.

cheers Darrel

Back