• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Opinions please

Andrew Butler

Honest opinions please.......
20180225_120528.jpg
20180225_120520.jpg
20180225_120517.jpg

The rocks themselves look great but they look too carefully placed

Are you adding any wood or rock only?

What tank is this BTW, looks very deep

I'd probably build up more around the tallest 'feature' stone and ramp down size from there (triangular composition), I'm sure a few of the pros will be along to offer better advice but have a play about and see what looks good to you

You have some awesome rocks yet again, but I do think they look placed and too spaced.

Also think more would be good to make it a little frenzied, however you know I'm pretty useless with rock scaped myself lol

I'd probably build up more around the tallest 'feature' stone and ramp down size from there (triangular composition), I'm sure a few of the pros will be along to offer better advice but have a play about and see what looks good to you
I had thought about sloping a bit more towards the back right. Easy enough to add a bit more. Theres 40mm of soil at the shallowist which looks a bit deep now.

You have some awesome rocks yet again, but I do think they look placed and too spaced.

Also think more would be good to make it a little frenzied, however you know I'm pretty useless with rock scaped myself lol
More big or small?
Where do you think and how?

I had thought about sloping a bit more towards the back right. Easy enough to add a bit more. Theres 40mm of soil at the shallowist which looks a bit deep now.

I was meaning move the stone to surround the biggest stone at the back right, place the stone and amend the Substrate to suit since that's not the feature

Iwagumi is one of the hardest layout to realise
You should have a main stone about 2/3 the high of your tank going one direction
See it as the CEO of a company then on each side some smaller stone to support CEO and like all companies some member of staff going the opposite direction than the CEO.
Also I'm sure you know it should be an uneven number of stones ( can't see how many you have there)
From what I can see your main stone is too straight it should give the direction of the flow , you need to tilt it just till you get to the point it looks unstable.
You have some really nice stones there they should also have less space between them
Hope it helps if you really want to respect iwagumi style, what matters is that you're happy with what you've done

Iwagumi is one of the hardest layout to realise
I know that!
You should have a main stone about 2/3 the high of your tank going one direction
I think the main stone does fall into that category, would you not agree?
From what I can see your main stone is too straight it should give the direction of the flow , you need to tilt it just till you get to the point it looks unstable
They're not the best photos but I can try giving it a bit more of a tilt.
You have some really nice stones there they should also have less space between them
Keeping the same layout?
Cheers
Andrew

Yes your main stone looks the right size I would definitely tilt it a bit more
The one on the left is a bit too far and should touch the main stone giving support.
When creating an iwagumi you should always start with flat soil (same height front and back) and that's what you did, but you can add soil to create a mount and give depth and also it's a good trick to make the main stone bigger ( looks the right size now, but if you decide to tilt it it might look the same height as the one on left )

And yes keep the same layout I think it's just need final touches

So I'v put a picture below with some numbers to make things easier.......
The one on the left is a bit too far and should touch the main stone giving support.
Can they point in opposite directions? When you say support do you just mean aesthetically?
You're suggesting 1 needs to lean more which as you say then makes it the same height as 2. 1 would have to lean away from 2 due to the face on the back of it as it's arranged.
Move 4,5,6 and 7 together a bit tighter? Maybe even put 7 between 5 and 6?
Or do I need to change it all around?

Picture1.jpg

Ok what I would do, but again it's my opinion and everybody would create a different layout so do what you think is right for you.
-Tilt 1 to the right to give direction of the flow ( looks like it's tilting towards back now)
2 should touch 1 but can be opposite direction ( be carful not to do a 2D layout ) so
-tilt 2 to the left and maybe slightly to the front
3 looks perfect angle just make sure it's connected (touch) 1
4and 5 are a bit more difficult they all tilt like 2 but most of the rock should tilt like 1 because it's the direction of the flow ( main stone give direction of water flow)
I would probably lay 5 flat like 3 but opposite direction of 3 ( 5 should point towards front left corner

Ok what I would do, but again it's my opinion and everybody would create a different layout so do what you think is right for you.
-Tilt 1 to the right to give direction of the flow ( looks like it's tilting towards back now)
2 should touch 1 but can be opposite direction ( be carful not to do a 2D layout ) so
-tilt 2 to the left and maybe slightly to the front
3 looks perfect angle just make sure it's connected (touch) 1
4and 5 are a bit more difficult they all tilt like 2 but most of the rock should tilt like 1 because it's the direction of the flow ( main stone give direction of water flow)
I would probably lay 5 flat like 3 but opposite direction of 3 ( 5 should point towards front left corner
I will have to have another play.....

I think you could find some more interesting angles out of the stones. All look so symmetrical now. My short tip: Go back and make a new hardscape.

For most of the times it's easier to start with something new and fresh rather than trying fix a bad scape.
If you don't like the new scape you could just go back to this one because you have good photos of it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Back