• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Beginnings

Trebor127

I am now finally in a position again after my last attempt was cut short by both inadequate quality of previous stand and ongoing building works at home.

Tank - Eheim Proxima 250 (100cmx50xcmx50cm) with diffused background
Stand - Eheim Proxima gloss white
Filtration - 1 x Eheim pro 4 350 thermo and 1 x Eheim pro 3e 2078. Both using APFUK 400mm glass spray bars and glass rear entry pipes at rear of tank. Stainless inlets.
1 x Eheim Skim 350
Lighting - 2 x Radion XR15FW on RMS mounts
Co2 - Co2 art dual stage regulator with solenoid and 3kg Co2 bottle
Hardscape - Seiryu stone & gnarled manzanita from aquarium gardens
Substrate - Tropica Plant Growth
Plants - ?
Fish - ?

Im currently soaking the manzanita wood so that it sinks which has now been approximately 2 weeks so will hopefully be ready very soon and then I can get working on the hardscaping.

I'm currently undecided on what plants to be buying but I plan on having a day trip down to Aquarium gardens in the near future when I have finalised the hardscape.

I will try to keep this up to date as much as possible and i'm sure that I will be asking lots of questions along the way!!

IMG_20180205_154854.jpg

This really is such a fantastic tank (not available anywhere near me - or anything like :()
- I'm amazed you managed to leave it empty so long :p though I expect your experience with the crazy bowing cabinets was quite distracting
(we never did get a photo of the floor warping dog :wideyed: :D)

Substrate ? Tropica GS with what over top?
I've used Tropica Soil with/without GS (my tap water is extremely soft so I wanted the additional enrichment of the GS beneath) - if you like to move plants etc about, the GS will cloud up considerably more than with just the Aquarium Soil
I prefer to use just the Powder as it's less "shifty" than the larger particle Soil
If you're topping with sand/fine gravel, you won't see much of this dust release

For filter inlet/outlet orientation, I'd follow Mark Evans method - I think this is my favourite journal though it's difficult to choose :wideyed:

120 x 55 x 55 Iwagumi

This really is such a fantastic tank (not available anywhere near me - or anything like :()
- I'm amazed you managed to leave it empty so long :p though I expect your experience with the crazy bowing cabinets was quite distracting
(we never did get a photo of the floor warping dog :wideyed: :D)

Substrate ? Tropica GS with what over top?
I've used Tropica Soil with/without GS (my tap water is extremely soft so I wanted the additional enrichment of the GS beneath) - if you like to move plants etc about, the GS will cloud up considerably more than with just the Aquarium Soil
I prefer to use just the Powder as it's less "shifty" than the larger particle Soil
If you're topping with sand/fine gravel, you won't see much of this dust release

For filter inlet/outlet orientation, I'd follow Mark Evans method - I think this is my favourite journal though it's difficult to choose :wideyed:

120 x 55 x 55 Iwagumi

It sure is a fantastic tank and extremely well made, just a shame it isn't optiwhite glass.

The substrate is http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/tropica-aquarium-soil-9l-1030-p.asp so will be using it on its own. I thought it was called growth but it is aquarium soil :confused:

The filters both have glass rear entry pipes and will both be using spraybars...

Regarding the dog, here she is....She looks very innocent haha.

IMG_20180127_WA0002.jpg

Ill definitely take a read of that journal though!!

Rob

Clear 16/22 hose received today and it has a blue tint to it. Does anyone know a supplier which can supply truly clear hose?

Well tonight was a little eventful. I finally got round to getting a couple of co2 cylinders refilled today at a place nearby and just as I was dozing off in bed BANG!

one of the cylinders decided to quickly discharge with a huge bang and is now iced up all over the cylinder!
Im assuming the place has overfilled the cylinder?

Crikey, that's the first time I've heard of that...could have been serious.
Or maybe a faulty cylinder?

First id heard of it too but after a little reading it is quite common if cylinder is over filled and all it is is the pressure disc venting to bring it back down to lower pressure. Will know more when I speak with the place tomorrow.

Not really what I wanted when im up at 3am for work!

Crikey, that's the first time I've heard of that...could have been serious.
Or maybe a faulty cylinder?

Just an update...he admitted that he slightly overfilled the cylinder and when I got it home it had expanded and blew the safety valve. He has reset the valve and refilled it.

A little update for today! What's peoples opinions on this layout?

Only had my phone to hand as it was a little unexpected that I would get time to do this today!

Back