• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants in buckets for a bit

Delapool

So shifted house and the 4ft tank is about 80% full. No leaks so far! Almost cracked one corner shifting when it slid off dolly but caught it. Heavy thing of a tank.

Wondering how long plants can go in buckets for? Next weekend is a long weekend when I have some time back with tank.

I’ve got the lid on buckets to stop evaporation but could take lids off and try to spread out plants between 4 buckets. The bolbitis and anubias I definitely want to keep as were expensive. Java fern I’ve got heaps of and planning to bin some so not too worried.

I could put plants in tank but really need a wash, clean and prune first really. Thanks!

For anubias and bolbitis it is suficient to only put a bottom of fertilized water in the bucket and close it with transparant clingfilm from the kitchen. And put the bucket in a light spot near a window for indirect day light. Just leave the plant leaves emersed than it wont faul nor develop any algae. Open the cling film once a day for fresh air or leaf a small slid open at the rim of the bucket to create some ventilation to prevent molt on the leaves. As long as the air in the bucket is over 80% moist you can indeed keep the plats indefenitely and even grow them on. :)

Update - the plants sat in two buckets for a week. Mainly while getting everything sorted I sliced my thumb on new steak knives. 5 stitches and dire warnings from nurse not to get it wet for 4 days left me not doing much.

Finally got them out of bucket and into tank. Seem to be doing ok. Just java fern, bolbitis and anubias so nothing special.

Back