• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium base

Fisher2007

My next question for you guys....

What are people using as bases for their tanks? Obviously polystyrene works a treat but for aquariums where the stand doesn't cover it what are the alternatives? I've been told floating base tanks don't actually need a base providing they are on a very strong, stable and obviously perfectly flat cabinet top. That sounds ideal for my pending rimless but having kept fish for 30+ years it's a new one on me so wanted to check

Tried doing a search but words such as base throw up endless amounts of threads

Cheers

I would think at lot depends on the tanks dimensions.
Not many surfaces are really flat so I would ulways use something under the tanks base to feel safe.
Polystyrene wall paper backing is about the thinnest you can easily find.
Do you have a problem using something underneath the tank base?

Tank base will be 1450 x 450

No problem with using something as a base providing it looks good

I have used laminate flooring polystyrene insulation before and had no problems

My little cube came with yoga mat type stuff that's about 4mm.

craft foam works fine, and you can get it larger sheets in the range A1 size and above.

If you want an actual function performed, styrofoam & any other similar "open cell" foam is useless -
air supports ...... well AIR .....

;)

Thanks for the replies

Is using no base an option? Anyone come across the floating base rimless scenario?

Is using no base an option?
No. My mate cracked the base of his tank, by placing it on a stand and having a grain of sand underneath it. The crack originated, after many months, from the grain of sand. Tank was repaired and tank is now on polystyrene sheet painted black with black board paint. (I think you have to undercoat the polystryene first with MDF primer, before the black paint will stick).

Floating base tanks don’t need anything under them but for obvious reasons what they rest on should be level

That is what I like about the EA tanks. Come with a foam base pre glued on.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Back