• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica & Pets at Home

Made me wonder... If there is a profitable market to display and sell it like this.. Than about the majority of people in the area must have multiple fish tanks and still it feels like all the fish die faster than they can be sold and than buy new ones each week or month.

This is cash and cary to the max..

Those poor crippled snakeheads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest from Pets at Home...
Bucephalandra sp. "red" for £4.00

38561357491_b4c1f4d781_b.jpg

24689078868_31f0c005ec_b.jpg

I've got mine and it looks to be in great health as well ;)

In a way, displaying and selling plants in these little Hermetospheres seems more realistic and beter for the plant. Than putting them submersed in the LFS.. If they go Buy 2 get 1 for free you can bet your mother in law on it they are in bad shape and to long submersed, infested with algae and have to be solled asp. But i can imagin, because we are not used to the concept it is recieved somewhat sceptic for a start. But i think the plant lives much longer in this little sealed dryer invironment than submersed in a display tank.

Have not been to PAH here yet, Hoping they have changed over to to this system.
The Stores in Coventry had these displays, but idiotic chav scum were opening up all the packaging to have a look at the plants. So a few times, went to pick up a pot and it would spill out everywhere on the floor. Shop Staff were used to it they advised. And TBH were not bothered about the damaged plants etc.

The latest from Pets at Home...
Bucephalandra sp. "red" for £4.00

38561357491_b4c1f4d781_b.jpg

24689078868_31f0c005ec_b.jpg

Thanks for the tip picked up three myself earlier today. The selection was pitiful though, maybe 18 or so pots in total, 12 buce red, couple of anubias and some sad crypts. The plants have really suffered since they switched in terms of selection. I've never seen more than they had in today (and they just had a delivery, guessing only the buce) and it used to have a great selection. Wish they would embrace the concept properly or switch back.

Just popped into P@H as they are the only local place that sells buce and they have always been in fairly good shape and at three for £11 they are cheap.

To be fair the buce looked ok but a selection of what was on show. If you look carefully you can see that a few of them where full of flies (at least the bags are indeed breathable...)

dc37ac9f9f0478a776c3db855da47002.jpg
4fdb7bea7423d6ca3a78f24968548d40.jpg
4680b8a390ec03fffa788dbd0129af46.jpg

Hi all,
If you look carefully you can see that a few of them where full of flies (at least the bags are indeed breathable...)
They are <"Sciarid flies">, they have little transparent maggots that live in the soil (or damp rock-wool). I would imagine they are a major problem when producing emergent aquarium plants, particularly if you can't use systemic insecticides.

You can control their number by drying the substrate, removing organic matter and with yellow traps and biological control (with nematodes or mites).

@Mick.Dk may be able to tell you what control measures Tropica use in their nursery.

cheers Darrel

these little buggers love my house plants.... grrr :banghead:
i use the old fashioned fly strips when they get excessive.

Apparently, it can spread a range of root rot diseases as well.
I should imagine it could be a significant problem for a commercial aquatic plant grower.

Hi all,
I saw big yellow flaps over the dennerle plants, like the old school Vapona strips, but larger.
That's them, different colour traps attract different pests, but usually they are yellow.
these little buggers love my house plants....
I get them in the Grindal worm cultures, if you have them in house plants you may be over-watering during the winter. A lot of 100% peat or green waste potting compost lacks sufficient drainage, you can mix perlite or "flint chick grit" with it to improve drainage.
Could be the reason some of my house plant cuttings have not taken you know...
<"Cuttings are easier to root in the spring">, and you want a compost with some sharp chick grit (or perlite) etc in it.

Have a look at <"SAPS">, I use the <"pop bottle propagator"> as well

cheers Darrel

Hi all, That's them, different colour traps attract different pests, but usually they are yellow. I get them in the Grindal worm cultures, if you have them in house plants you may be over-watering during the winter. A lot of 100% peat or green waste potting compost lacks sufficient drainage, you can mix perlite or "flint chick grit" with it to improve drainage. <"Cuttings are easier to root in the spring">, and you want a compost with some sharp chick grit (or perlite) etc in it.

Have a look at <"SAPS">, I use the <"pop bottle propagator"> as well

cheers Darrel

Some great advice there darrel, the over watering during winter makes absolute sense as my dad always goes a bit mad watering the house plants even during winter.

Back