• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gathering from the wild

Aqua360

Well, I've decided that either today or later in the week, I'm going to explore the braes near where I live, where there is an abundance of nature, including some rocky streams, waterfalls etc.

I'm hoping to take inspiration for a river set-up, and perhaps collect some rocks, maybe even some wood (unlikely I reckon).

Any pointers for collecting? I'm figuring that doing the vinegar on any and all stones is a must, but wonder if I'm missing anything obvious.

Hi all,
Well, I've decided that either today or later in the week, I'm going to explore the braes near where I live, where there is an abundance of nature, including some rocky streams, waterfalls etc.

I'm hoping to take inspiration for a river set-up, and perhaps collect some rocks, maybe even some wood (unlikely I reckon).

Any pointers for collecting? I'm figuring that doing the vinegar on any and all stones is a must, but wonder if I'm missing anything obvious.
You should be fine, because of where you are located all the rocks should be non-calcareous. If there is heather growing that is a sure indicator that you aren't on limestone.

geology_of_scotland.gif

Rounded water washed pebbles and cobbles are always OK (they must be really hard, or they wouldn't be rounded.)

cheers Darrel

Hi all, You should be fine, because of where you are located all the rocks should be non-calcareous. If there is heather growing that is a sure indicator that you aren't on limestone.

geology_of_scotland.gif

Rounded water washed pebbles and cobbles are always OK (they must be really hard, or they wouldn't be rounded.)

cheers Darrel

thanks! Nice image, will be saving that for future reference!

Is there such a thing as a list of "safe" wood? Just curious, I often come across things on my travels and think that would look cool in an aquarium but not knowing if certain branches may leach toxins from sap etc or if what stage the wood needs to be at for instance how long as it been dead and off the tree or if it's been there that long it's rotten and decomposing.

Is there such a thing as a list of "safe" wood? Just curious, I often come across things on my travels and think that would look cool in an aquarium but not knowing if certain branches may leach toxins from sap etc or if what stage the wood needs to be at for instance how long as it been dead and off the tree or if it's been there that long it's rotten and decomposing.

My area of expertise... :D yes there is such a thing as safe wood, definitely not pine, or any toxic species like laurel, yew, laburnum, etc. make sure it is not near any sources of pollution.

Standing deadwood or good dry deadwood is always what you are looking for, lignin based deadwood is best (thats the stuff that is rock hard not the squishy stuff.)

The best deadwood for aquariums is from hardwood, broad leaved trees, such as Ash, Oak, Holm oak, beech, sweet chesnut, poplar, sycamore, but it has to have the right kind of decay, like i said it needs the cellulose to be removed, not the lignin.

The absolute best wood you can get is stuff that is already waterlogged in rivers or lakes, just make sure it is hard, and is not growing excessive fungus on it.

Be aware when collecting, and make sure you are not collecting in protected areas or SSSI's, as you might be taking good habitat away from endangered species.

Nice one cheers. I guess the dilemma now is if you find some wood in the water that's water logged and still in reasonable condition you wouldn't exactly know which tree it came off.

Yeah without experience it is hard, if in doubt, don't take it, i can tell from the structure of it and the branch unions, but that is what 10 years cutting trees does.

Also if you are prepping dry wood, there is a process to it, you have to dry it completely for a month or 2, until it is bone bone dry, then you brush it with a wire brush or take a flathead screwdriver and remove all the debris, dirt, stones, and bark, then you can pressure wash it or hose it down with a powerful hose, then you soak it until it is completely waterlogged, then dry it completely again (being sure that the core of the heartwood is dry aswell), then soak again and it's ready.

but that is what 10 years cutting trees does.

So, the best course of action would be to pick up anything I liked the look of and send a pic to you for clarification ;)

Hi all, You should be fine, because of where you are located all the rocks should be non-calcareous. If there is heather growing that is a sure indicator that you aren't on limestone.

geology_of_scotland.gif

cheers Darrel

Can I also please ask, is a simple wash of these stones sufficient? I've got Milton, can disinfect etc but they look ok tbh

Some snaps while on my collecting adventure today. Plenty of rocks, but didn't see any wood, besides after hearing how much prep is needed for it, I'll stick to the already prepared stuff lol.

IMG_20180313_180559.jpg

IMG_20180313_181429.jpg
IMG_20180313_181829.jpg

Yes,very nice place to get away to, and love the water fall minus the old tire and wheel someone was so kind as to leave there.
I sometimes collect stones and wood from around stream's or bank's of river's after the high water from rain's has receded.
Some wood pieces I take home and plop in bucket's or tub's to soak and or for cleaning.
Smooth fist size river stones are my favorites and a simple rinsing is sometimes all that is needed.
Also haunt landscaping stores for stones and or fine bird's eye gravel for perhaps a future scape.

There is a nice car tire though..................o_O

yeah the tyre is a scorch on an otherwise picturesque scene, sums up the world we live in I guess, nothing is safe!

Back