• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing stem plants on airline sucker cups

BubblingUnder

I'm running out of space on my substrate & surface to grow plants on. So using airline suckers cups to place Buce, Anubius & Java Fern on the glass sides of my tank.

I've also started propagating Ludwegia 'stem plants' by tying bunches of the trimmed plants to suckers with fishing line & it seems to be working well. This confuses me as I thought stem plants needed substrate to grow successfully.

So are there any other fast growing 'stem plants' which can be grown as bunches on an airline sucker cup long term ?

you may find the suckers fall off in time, either due to slimy glass or the plants actually pushing against the suckers, this is what happened to me time and time again until I got the zoo med magnetic clips, no problems since!

Lots of hydroponics systems are built and run without substrate... as long as the plant gets stable/decent light, nutrients, and CO2, they'll do just fine.
Thanks for the feedback - gives me a bit more confidence to persist
you may find the suckers fall off in time, either due to slimy glass or the plants actually pushing against the suckers, this is what happened to me time and time again until I got the zoo med magnetic clips, no problems since!
Also thanks for the magnetic clip tip (I've noticed that some suction cup are better than others Algarde seems to be ok some others don't last long).

Back