• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Congo Swamp Monster (750l biotope)

I suspect all surface dwelling fish have evolved to jump as a defence against attach from below, so I think I have the choice to either leave that part of the tank empty or to take a bit of a risk. I’m a bit more willing to do that with killies than butterflyfish
That's the same question as "What was their first, the chicken or the egg?" Tho predation absolutely could be a trigger for fish to flee and jump especialy smaller schooling fish often victimized by predators show that flee behaivor also as a chain reaction. But there are much more variables under suspicion to think about.

Food competition since almost all fish species are predators, for example what falls on the surface. And it doesn't absolutely needs to be food to trigger curiousity, it can be a speck of dust landing on the surface you don't even notice. But surface dwelling fish spots this, that's also what they are evolved into. Gets curious and race towards it, than you see food competition others spot it as well and other spot something is spotted and the race is on, who's going to be first at the price. That's also a schooling fish chain reaction.. Obviously size of the fish in this case should be considered, for example Epiplatus annulatus a rather tiny Killie fish you wont expect this little fish to go after a housefly or an bigger adult misquito. As micropredator it's much less likely to jump large distances, if jump at all if enough surface coverage is provided. This way you provide sufficient aquatic micro fauna to predate on and block the eye sight to trigger food competition jumps. While the for the Pantodon a housefly hoovering twice the height of the fishes length over the tank is a potential snack and worth a jump.

Mating display and competiotion can trigger jumps, males trying to chase eachother away.

Parental care and protection. For example Chiclids which you have do parantal care and can be extremely protective and attack anything comming close.

Parasites or just a simple ich can trigger a jump. The stronger to fish the more agressive the jump.

Not only surface dwelling fish can have jumping behaivor.. Gobbies are also known to be excellent jumpers.. Another one, what was the english common name again? Siamese flying fox?

There are several things to take into account when it comes to well arranged scapes and stocking. This commes with experience, reading and logical behaivor paterns among different species.. For example breeding Cichlids in a relative shallow open top bellow a school of surface dwelling fish, 1 x1 = 2.. ;)

Last edited:
Beech leaves decompose slowly enough that you can pick them now and they will still have good integrity.
Hornbeam (?)(Carpinus betulus) leaves should be on the plant still, you can even cut of twigs with the leaves on.
Depends what part of the country, south east they are all leafless, however hornbeam and beech hedging still generally have leaves on, i wouldnt pick any leaves off the floor after rain or snow, they need to be propperly dry before collection. Hope that helps.

What do I do after I collect green leaves? I assume I need to dry them before I check them in? Do I just stick them in the garage for a while until they dry out or can I put them in the oven on low?

I'm in central London.

You can always collect from sheltered places that have not been exposed to weather, or if you are collecting green dry them on a windowsill preferably with a radiator nearby, then finish in a ink free notepad with a weight ontop. :)

Was out and about at work today and noticed small amounts of hornbeam saplings 1 to 2 years old that had some small patches of leaves still attached, so keep your eyes open.

You can feed green hornbeam, mulberry, birch(be very careful of pollution contamination in birch in london) maple and apple to shrimp fresh, just make sure they are washed.

What do I do after I collect green leaves? I assume I need to dry them before I check them in? Do I just stick them in the garage for a while until they dry out or can I put them in the oven on low?

I'm in central London.

I've never used green leaves, so I'll let others advise there. The beech will be brown and on the floor.

Just found this rather lovely underwater video of the Lufubu River. I'm aiming for a natural look and still felt the need to fight off the algae! It makes me think I've added far too much complexity in my mix of plants and basically cutting and pasting the mix of vallis and Nymphaea with some undergrowth of Myriophyllum, Ammannia and Bacopa mixed up across the whole thing could look fab...

It makes me think I've added far too much complexity in my mix of plants

That's the most common pitfall for every aquarium keeper suffering from collecteritis in creating a theme or biotope aquarium. It kinda goes on automatic pilot. Actualy not realising no matter how big the tanks footprint is, in comparance to nature it's nothing but a tiny snapshot. Looking for example at a local somewhat large wildlife pond close to my house. It is rather shallow and cristal clear and the entire pond is overgrown but only contains 3 different Sp. of aquatic plants, Hornwort, Curled Pondweed and a Nymphaea, i'm trying every summer again but never found a 4th plant sp. in it. I guess everything else just gets outcompeted. Well it indeed has some hair algae growing i don't concider a plant. Even the bog plants growing marginaly is rather somewhat limited to about 3 or 4 maybe 5 different sp. around the entire pond, taking a snapshot as wide as the camera can see i'm lucky to find only 2.

Also if you look at most price winning nature scapes you rarely count more than 4 different plant sp. The more you cramp in the harder it becommes to maintan the natural flow and balance. :)

I also suffer from collecteritis. Cramping over 7 to 8 plant sp. on less than ½ a square metre. Which is actualy far to much and has non to do with representing nature.

Su5g4EE.jpg
gJyV6Sl.jpg

29sdl2H.jpg

aUxoNTg.jpg

HhpDdX9.jpg

Current state of the tank. I think it is starting to come together. Main changes are to the right hand side. I am going to introduce the same combination of Myriophyllum and Bacopa to the left of the large bogwood and some twigs and perhaps a large piece of bogwood on the right.

dCxRxGo.jpg

FrCeVAk.jpg

AyApGah.jpg

ndD3If3.jpg

zO3qYzY.jpg

3u87G0V.jpg

WGZYNG8.jpg

Some recent photos.

On the aquascaping side I’m still working on replicating some of the same mix that I have in the right as undergrowth under and behind the lillies on the left. I’m trying to do this selectively to have a lighter feel and more open space on the left, and to have the different stems mixed up a bit to keep it natural. The Floscopa have emerged on the right and the left and are up to 6” above the after line. I’ll add some more emersed planting in shower caddies behind it on the right and behind the wood when there is enough cover for it.

The plants are generally doing well. The Nymphaea doing rather too well. These pics are after I took out over 20 pads last weekend! Only plant problem I have is the Anubias ‘congensis arrow’ on the wood which is a bit yellowing and sickly. It is a bit strange as the same species is growing Ok on the left and the barteri lower down the wood is growing well. I may add some more heterophylla or hastifolia amongst it to see if that does better.

I’m now happy enough with the tank that I can sit and watch the fish...!

The Phenacogrammus fantastique (as they
now seem to be called) are starting to colour up. I’m amazed by how different their behaviour is to the P. aurantiacus. I guess it is by no means certain that the former are a Phenacogrammus at all. The fantastiques are very active, almost nervy, and spend their time in the open water much more than the relatively sedate aurantiacus.

I’ve added 8 Aphyosemion louessense, who should help add a bit of colour and movement at the top of the tank.

My female Enigmatochromis is showing off her beautiful fat purple belly to the male at any opportunity. So far her advances are being rebuffed with dramatic 6-7 foot chases down the tank from the male but I’m hoping they will settle together OK.

Key fish challenges are the Enteromius fasciolatus, who continue to hide too much. They aren’t a particularly rare fish and so I may sell them at some point. The Microctenopoma have also taken to hiding a lot more since I added the cichlids who HATE them - they must recognise an ambush predator who could take babies.

I am eyeing up the Pier Aquatics stock list a lot at the moment and so may add more fish before too long!

Last edited:
This is the look I wanted to achieve in my 5*4*2 open top. If it has not been cracked.
Still think a group of African Butterflies would look stunning. Simply drifting amongst the Lilly Pads. Great fun to watch them eating mealworms and Hoppers.

Back