• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Johns Fluval Spec 19 Litre Planted Tank

If it was me, I would start doing one 30-50% water change (WC) a day in the first week, then one WC every other day on the second week, then 2 WC a week for a couple of weeks, and then once a week.

Since you're injecting CO2, I would start dosing ferts at around a quarter dose for the first week and slowly raise the dose every week, until you reach the recommended amount.

Looks great, think it'll look even better once that carpet grows in. The delay in adding ferts I believe is due to the aqua soil, though Tropica isn't too bad for leeching, many aqua soils will leech when they are brand new - this is also why Tropica recommend performing water changes as suggested above for the first week or two.

You might find that Eleocharis will spread faster if you split the portions into smaller 'bundles', this just means it'll begin to look fuller faster, I did this when planting a large carpet of Eleocharis mini. But of course this depends on your tolerance of the finicky plants, either way given the tanks footprint it'll grow into a lush carpet in no time :thumbup:

I think that's where I went wrong with the planting of the grass was not cutting it up smaller though I do have a spare tub of hairgrass left so might plant some more when ive emptied water for water change.
When is it best to add ferts? morning? noon? night? when lights come on?
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think that's where I went wrong with the planting of the grass was not cutting it up smaller though I do have a spare tub of hairgrass left so might plant some more when ive emptied water for water change.
When is it best to add ferts? morning? noon? night? when lights come on?
Thanks for all the advice guys.

One idea is to dose 15-30 minutes before lights come on so that the ferts have time to circulate around the tank before hand - this is what I do, however it's easier for me given I use an auto-doser for all my ferts and carbon.

However from what I've read there isn't really any major benefits to dosing at certain times, some people may argue there is but I haven't noticed any notable difference in growth rates from when I dosed when lights were already on. I'd recommend just dosing whenever is convenient for you.

Back