• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting options for 60cm tank

Deeny

Seedling
Hi all,

I need some advise on lightning please; it's for an aquascaper 600 tank (600 × 500 × 360) and I plan to grow medium tech plants with CO2. Most of the lighting options I am seeing seems to be a bit on the expensive side so I am hoping for some advise on this please.
Thanks

If you cant stretch to the Twinstar units then take a look at one of our sponsors Hinterfield the chihiros RGB is a nice unit the rgb-60 is £70.21 delivered there are cheaper models as well the A-series is very cheap at £43 but is only white led's

Thanks Mark, I will have a look at the Chihiros RGB as suggested;

The chihiros rgb is not a strong light. Especially with 50 cm depth that can give some trouble. I would go for 2x chihiros rgb if med/ high light is needed.

for a 60 cm I would go twinstar 600 sp but again if you have lots of hardscape blocking out light (if you do competition scapes) or want lots of colorful stems you might need two. The twinstar s series is very good for red plants and has a better spectrum than chihiros but comes with a price tag.

I would try 1 twinstar 600 sp and see how it goes probs with some med tech plants you are fine.

Thanks for the feedback @Nigel95; that is almost the price of a twinstar unit but will ×2 chihiros RGB be as strong as a twinster 600E ?

Thanks for the feedback @Nigel95; that is almost the price of a twinstar unit but will ×2 chihiros RGB be as strong as a twinster 600E ?

Hard to tell tbh there is no really par data with 2x chihiros rgb on that size of tank.

I personally have chihiros rgb and twinstar e series. I like both light units but twinstar e series wins for me. More vibrant colors and less cold (lower Kelvin).

With 2 x chihiros rgb you are generally much safer because the light spread will be better. Beside that I like Twinstar more... It's a hard choice. Personally I would go twinstar. It will probably grow med plants fine. But if you want red plants I highly recommend s series over E series. If you ever need more light because of heavy stem or hardscape scapes you can always buy another light. George Farmer also uses the twinstar 600 s series on that size of tank and the plants grow fine.

The thing with lights is I always want to upgrade them. I went form chihiros rgb to ada rgb solar because I have odd tank dimensions (80x40x40 cm). If I had a 60 or 90 cm tank I maybe went for twinstar s series but again there is a risk I wanted to upgrade from that one to ada rgb solar. So yeah big investment but there is not much more to upgrade atm. Yeah Lupyled but that price is really ridiculous.

if you go for medium light tank, twinstar 600E is too intense. Get yourself a dimmer

Get yourself a dimmer

It's always nice to have a dimmer at least when the tank isn't stable yet. You can use chihiros dimmer on twinstar or tc 420 as long the light output is <4A.
When you want to use the tc 420 you need to buy some man / female dc connectors. Very cheap and plug and play no wires cutting.
DC-out-male-connector-ledstrips-600x600_0-800x800_0.jpg

Thanks for the advise all; the ADA aquasky 601 comes as a single unit as opposed to the twin unit 602, will the 601 be enough for a 50cm depth tank?

Are there any UK suppliers for the Chihiros LEDs?

Look up sponsor Hinterfeld, they sell Chihiros products.. They also have an Ebay shop.. But depending on what you are ordering first check out there webshop and check the shipping conditions. Ebay is OK for single small orders, because ebay is a tad more expensive, the international free shipping is not realy free it actualy is already calculated into the sales price. So this means, ordering 2 seperate products from ebay you pay the calcutaled shipping added per item and it's shipped seperatly. Even if shipped combined, the price stands, you still pay the incalculated shipping. (Ebay aint stuppid they know how to make money..

So ordering it directly from the vendors webshop is cheaper with the real items price and because the combined shipping can save you money. :thumbup:

Not sure but try our sponsors Aquasabi https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping/lighting/ The prices are competitive, and the customer service excellent.
Yes, I'll give them a shot. More expensive (and I've heard there's knock-offs of these knock-offs!) but probably quicker to arrive.

Look up sponsor Hinterfeld, they sell Chihiros products.. They also have an Ebay shop.. But depending on what you are ordering first check out there webshop and check the shipping conditions. Ebay is OK for single small orders, because ebay is a tad more expensive, the international free shipping is not realy free it actualy is already calculated into the sales price. So this means, ordering 2 seperate products from ebay you pay the calcutaled shipping added per item and it's shipped seperatly. Even if shipped combined, the price stands, you still pay the incalculated shipping. (Ebay aint stuppid they know how to make money..

So ordering it directly from the vendors webshop is cheaper with the real items price and because the combined shipping can save you money. :thumbup:
They seem to be poorly stocked, UK-side at the mo but thanks. :)

Last edited:
Back