• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bucephalandra Sp turning pink

da_vipin

Hello All!

I'm new here. Couple of months back I bought a cup of tissue cultured Bucephalandra which was sold as sintang species. It was dark green while planting and eventually grew 2 - 3 green leaves as well. However, lately all of them are growing new leaves which are pink! Its a bit confusing that when I lookup images of Sintang Sp, none of them are in pink hue.

The tank is moderately high tech, receives 6 hours of photoperiod and EI dosing every day. No plants are showing any signs of deficiency. Can any one please shed some light on this. Is it possible that the cup was mislabeled?
_MG_6751.JPG
_MG_6748.JPG

Its 24 Watts of DIY LEDs over 15 inch cube. The LEDs comprises of 6 cool whites, 4 warm whites and each of deep red, royal blue & cyan. The intensity is at 100% for 6 hours. I don't have any PAR data, but the calculated lumens as per specifications of LEDs is roughly 2,400

I'm dosing plantex csm+b for micros. Will try increasing the dosage for couple of weeks...

Thanks

Is it possible that the cup was mislabeled?

You indeed might want to ask what is B. sp. sintang stands for? The region where it is collected without further ado? Bucephalandra is still pretty recently discovered as aquarium plant. Could very well be it aint yet properly identified and still has a made up name. But there are many with red, pink, brown and purple potentials when developing new young growth in high tech conditions..

Here is a nice article on it. :)
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/bucephalandra.html

Its 24 Watts of DIY LEDs over 15 inch cube. The LEDs comprises of 6 cool whites, 4 warm whites and each of deep red, royal blue & cyan. The intensity is at 100% for 6 hours. I don't have any PAR data, but the calculated lumens as per specifications of LEDs is roughly 2,400

I'm dosing plantex csm+b for micros. Will try increasing the dosage for couple of weeks...

Thanks
I only asked because my initial thought was that your light intensity might be too high.

But there are many with red, pink, brown and purple potentials when developing new young growth in high tech conditions..

Yes quite possible that this one is supposed to grow pink. This is the first time I'm keeping buces and i just don't want them to die. However it appears to be flourishing with new leaves regularly. Would have looked better in green though, now it seems like flowers :)

The new leaves my buces produce are a completely different colour to the older leaves, it seems almost like they have to "age" before they revert to a deeper colour, if you are NOT injecting CO2 it could also be a lack of available carbon so the plants are producing finer more delicate growth because of the higher tech conditions pushing them on too fast for the carbon levels, thats my opinion anyway.

I often notice new buce leaves are very pale and take time to develop colour, could just be new leaves? tho usually my plants only put out one new leave at a time and are a more light red / bronze than pink!

I often notice new buce leaves are very pale and take time to develop colour, could just be new leaves? tho usually my plants only put out one new leave at a time and are a more light red / bronze than pink!
Yeah mine are only this pink colour when they are curled up before they unfurl.

Back